Aug 31, 2012, 9:50 PM EDT
UPDATE: Dickey and Cueto have some company. Gio Gonzalez just tossed a five-hit shutout of his own vs. the Cardinals for his 17th win.
9:50 PM: R.A. Dickey tossed a five-hit shutout tonight as part of a 3-0 victory over the Marlins, putting him into a tie with fellow National League Cy Young candidate Johnny Cueto for the major league lead with 17 wins. He is 4-0 with a 1.16 ERA in four starts against the Marlins this year.
Dickey walked three while all five hits he gave up were singles. He struck out seven and threw 114 pitches. According to Brooks Baseball, he induced 20 swings and misses.
Ike Davis provided all the offense Dickey would need, collecting a sacrifice fly in the top of the fourth inning and a two-run homer in the seventh. The 25-year-old first baseman is still batting just .225 after getting off to an absolutely dreadful start, but he now has 25 homers and 74 RBI on the year.
But this night was all about Dickey. The knuckleballer continues to build a compelling case for individual hardware, as he ranks third in the National League in ERA (2.63), second in strikeouts (190), and first in WHIP (1.01), complete games (five) and shutouts (three). Only Clayton Kershaw, Justin Verlander and Felix Hernandez have logged more innings than Dickey (191 1/3) this year.
- Giants rout Royals 11-4 in Game 4 to even up the World Series at 2-2 14
- Mike Trout, Giancarlo Stanton win the Hank Aaron Award 1
- World Series, Game 4: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Report: Rays owner Stuart Sternberg has discussed moving the team to Montreal 62
- Dave Dombrowski on Miguel Cabrera: “It’s worse than what we ever would have anticipated” 33
- World Series Reset: Can the Giants even things up? 4
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 36
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 4
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (143)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (106)