R.A. Dickey tosses five-hit shutout vs. Marlins for 17th win

Aug 31, 2012, 9:50 PM EDT

R.A. Dickey Getty Getty Images

UPDATE: Dickey and Cueto have some company. Gio Gonzalez just tossed a five-hit shutout of his own vs. the Cardinals for his 17th win.

9:50 PM: R.A. Dickey tossed a five-hit shutout tonight as part of a 3-0 victory over the Marlins, putting him into a tie with fellow National League Cy Young candidate Johnny Cueto for the major league lead with 17 wins. He is 4-0 with a 1.16 ERA in four starts against the Marlins this year.

Dickey walked three while all five hits he gave up were singles. He struck out seven and threw 114 pitches. According to Brooks Baseball, he induced 20 swings and misses.

Ike Davis provided all the offense Dickey would need, collecting a sacrifice fly in the top of the fourth inning and a two-run homer in the seventh. The 25-year-old first baseman is still batting just .225 after getting off to an absolutely dreadful start, but he now has 25 homers and 74 RBI on the year.

But this night was all about Dickey. The knuckleballer continues to build a compelling case for individual hardware, as he ranks third in the National League in ERA (2.63), second in strikeouts (190), and first in WHIP (1.01), complete games (five) and shutouts (three). Only Clayton Kershaw, Justin Verlander and Felix Hernandez have logged more innings than Dickey (191 1/3) this year.

1. keithbangedyermom - Aug 31, 2012 at 9:51 PM

CY YOUNG

• baseballisboring - Aug 31, 2012 at 10:58 PM

Agreed. Not that it’s clear cut, but I would definitely give him my vote. I hope Cueto doesn’t win because he pitches on a good team (nothing against Cueto, who is also having a CY Young caliber season).

2. dondada10 - Aug 31, 2012 at 10:02 PM

1st 17 game winner since Al Leiter in ’98.

3. chill1184 - Aug 31, 2012 at 10:16 PM

Dickey continues to shut up his critics by bouncing back from bad starts

4. thedudabides - Aug 31, 2012 at 10:27 PM

CY YOUNG. he’ll end up getting snubbed from an all star start, and winning the Cy Young in the same year.

5. Old Gator - Aug 31, 2012 at 10:32 PM

September is the longest month of the year. Kershaw and Gio Gonzalez are also quite solidly in the Cy Young running in the NL. However, it’s especially impressive that Biggeth Dicketh has racked up a 17-4 record with an otherwise awful team, something the other three can’t claim.

6. Fink - Aug 31, 2012 at 10:47 PM

Sorry, but Cueto takes the cake here. He’ll get snubbed from the All-Star game altogether, and then bounce back with a Cy Young…. maybe he’ll sleep with all your girls too

• keithbangedyermom - Aug 31, 2012 at 11:17 PM

Dickey’s numbers are clearly better. Plus, I’d bet Dickey would actually fight like a man.

7. natslady - Aug 31, 2012 at 11:57 PM

Gio GIO GIO GIO GIO GIO GIO GIO GIO GIO GIO GIO GIO GIO GIO GIO GIO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• natslady - Sep 1, 2012 at 12:01 AM

Dickey may have a worse team behind him but Gio pitched his CG shutout against the best offense in the NL! So there.

• Old Gator - Sep 1, 2012 at 11:48 AM

Calm down. Protect your vocal chords. You’re supposed to be a diva.

• natstowngreg - Sep 1, 2012 at 12:51 PM

Much fun to watch Gio’s excellent performance in person, and participate in the “Gio!” chanting. But let’s not get too carried away. The Cards have scored one run (unearned) in 4 games. That sort of thing tends not to be about the pitching alone. Just as the Phillies’ recent sweep of the Nats was not about the oppnents’ pitching alone.

• natslady - Sep 1, 2012 at 2:35 PM

LOL! You can tell from my typing I was yelling? Oh, yes, I was. Just like I tell my students NOT to, go to a ballgame and blow out their voice! So the guy next to me says (after “Take Me Out to the Ballgame”) that was great, but in this economy, keep your day job. So I said, that is my day job… :)

• keithbangedyermom - Sep 1, 2012 at 3:54 PM

June 2, 2012. R.A. Dickey shuts out Cards.

OWNED

8. teaspoon1731 - Aug 31, 2012 at 11:58 PM

Remember when Dickey climbed Kilimanjaro and everyone thought that was crazy? Give this man the Cy Young already. I know he’s got good competition, but he’s a Met’s pitcher and a knuckleballer. The odds aren’t exactly in his favor, and he’s got ridiculous numbers. I don’t know how he doesn’t win honestly.

• chill1184 - Sep 1, 2012 at 12:18 AM

Considering the facts that the media is bouncing around this retarded idea that the Cy Young (in the NL anyway) should go to a relief pitcher and that Dickey is being held to a different standard vs Cain, Gio, Zimmerman, Cueto and the rest of NL candidates I won’t be surprised.

• Old Gator - Sep 1, 2012 at 11:49 AM

Zimmerman, Cueto. Probably just an unconscious thing, grouping two thugs in the same sentence like that.

• natstowngreg - Sep 1, 2012 at 12:26 PM

Jordan Zimmermann, a thug? Say what? In my observation, he’s been rather un-thuggish.

• natslady - Sep 1, 2012 at 2:37 PM

Maybe he mean Cain–you know as in Genesis–that Cain.

• Old Gator - Sep 1, 2012 at 4:36 PM

No, no, no. George Zimmerman….

9. senorknucklehead - Sep 1, 2012 at 12:35 AM

I wouldn’t believe how Dickey got win 17 if I wasn’t at Marlins Park sitting near 3rd base watching the knuckler’s mastery myself. He was dealing, struck out Stanton and Carlos Lee twice, caught Reyes in an amazing pick off at first and struck him out, he even threw a knuckler so nasty for a strike, the marlins’ catcher lost his bat swinging! Amazing, best pitching performance I’ve seen at a game ever and being my favorites player and lookiing forward just to see him pitch this month at this game, I got more than I could have ever imagined. I was at a piece of Mets history making Dickey the first pitcher since 98′ to win 17 and joins the likes of Doc Gooden with that many wins in a season. No one is more deserving statistically and as a person of winning the NL cy young. This game made my season and year!

• Old Gator - Sep 1, 2012 at 2:29 AM

The minute you bring “as a person” into the equation, you disqualify that neanderthal POS Cueto, of course.

10. randygnyc - Sep 1, 2012 at 12:57 AM

I’d like to see the breakdown for each of the three pitchers games they pitched. The record of the teams they played. The team BA, etc. 3 17 game winners could be different if one pitcher played all his games against division leaders as opposed to a player pitching agains the padres and Astros all year. Where can I get that type of info?

11. thedudabides - Sep 1, 2012 at 2:05 AM

Randy, go to baseballreference.com, all of the info will be there, it will just take a lot of research on your part.

12. randygnyc - Sep 1, 2012 at 2:42 AM

Thanks dudabides. I’ve been there before but it was too overwhelming. Will try it again. Thank you.

13. jimtron11 - Sep 1, 2012 at 3:22 AM

What a find by the Mets! Dickey has been nothing less than a revelation these past few years, but especially so in 2012. The faster knuckle ball Dickey features at around 79-80 mph has to rank among the top two or three most difficult pitches to hit in the game (Justin Verlander’s fastball and Felix Hernandez’s changeup also come to mind). Now, if Dickey could just cool it with the annoying platitudes, the habit of speaking in the third person and the Star Wars costumes; then we’d be getting somewhere.

14. giantssb42champs - Sep 1, 2012 at 8:55 AM

Hopefully LaRussa’s not on the Cy Young selection committee.

15. jonesboy226 - Sep 1, 2012 at 9:15 AM

How can anyone call a guy a neanderthal pos without actually knowing him? And only because of one incident. Let it go. If a guy deserves the cy young then give it to him. Go cueto and go reds!

• Old Gator - Sep 1, 2012 at 4:36 PM

How? Watch the video. It’s self-explanatory.

16. theboysofdallas - Sep 1, 2012 at 10:52 AM

Can anyone say untouchable?

• scratchnsniffnblog - Sep 1, 2012 at 3:43 PM

My wife can say “untouchable.” And it also involves the inability to get to first base…

17. jssgriffi - Sep 1, 2012 at 11:01 AM

Cy young!!!

Can Angels recoup loss of Richards?
  1. R. Castillo (5224)