Aug 31, 2012, 9:50 PM EDT
UPDATE: Dickey and Cueto have some company. Gio Gonzalez just tossed a five-hit shutout of his own vs. the Cardinals for his 17th win.
9:50 PM: R.A. Dickey tossed a five-hit shutout tonight as part of a 3-0 victory over the Marlins, putting him into a tie with fellow National League Cy Young candidate Johnny Cueto for the major league lead with 17 wins. He is 4-0 with a 1.16 ERA in four starts against the Marlins this year.
Dickey walked three while all five hits he gave up were singles. He struck out seven and threw 114 pitches. According to Brooks Baseball, he induced 20 swings and misses.
Ike Davis provided all the offense Dickey would need, collecting a sacrifice fly in the top of the fourth inning and a two-run homer in the seventh. The 25-year-old first baseman is still batting just .225 after getting off to an absolutely dreadful start, but he now has 25 homers and 74 RBI on the year.
But this night was all about Dickey. The knuckleballer continues to build a compelling case for individual hardware, as he ranks third in the National League in ERA (2.63), second in strikeouts (190), and first in WHIP (1.01), complete games (five) and shutouts (three). Only Clayton Kershaw, Justin Verlander and Felix Hernandez have logged more innings than Dickey (191 1/3) this year.
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 27
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 13
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 6
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 93
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (93)
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (90)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)