Aug 31, 2012, 12:34 AM EDT
The Cardinals lost their third straight game on Thursday night in the nation’s capital. And they might have also lost their starting shortstop.
The 34-year-old All-Star told reporters after Thursday’s 8-1 loss to the Nationals that he felt a “tingle” and then a “pop” before exiting in the sixth inning. Daniel Descalso subbed in, and would likely serve as the Cardinals’ primary shortstop down the stretch if the MRI shows what everyone thinks it will. Semi-prospect Ryan Jackson could be recalled from Triple-A Memphis for depth.
Furcal has started at short in 116 of the Cardinals’ 131 games this season while batting .264/.325/.346.
Descalso, a decent defender all around the infield, owns a .245/.316/.334 career slash line.
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (104)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (98)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (89)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (88)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (82)