Aug 31, 2012, 12:34 AM EDT
The Cardinals lost their third straight game on Thursday night in the nation’s capital. And they might have also lost their starting shortstop.
The 34-year-old All-Star told reporters after Thursday’s 8-1 loss to the Nationals that he felt a “tingle” and then a “pop” before exiting in the sixth inning. Daniel Descalso subbed in, and would likely serve as the Cardinals’ primary shortstop down the stretch if the MRI shows what everyone thinks it will. Semi-prospect Ryan Jackson could be recalled from Triple-A Memphis for depth.
Furcal has started at short in 116 of the Cardinals’ 131 games this season while batting .264/.325/.346.
Descalso, a decent defender all around the infield, owns a .245/.316/.334 career slash line.
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 7
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 20
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 49
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 26
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 11
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 44
- Giants to acquire Mike Leake from Reds 33
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (111)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)