Aug 31, 2012, 12:34 AM EDT
The Cardinals lost their third straight game on Thursday night in the nation’s capital. And they might have also lost their starting shortstop.
The 34-year-old All-Star told reporters after Thursday’s 8-1 loss to the Nationals that he felt a “tingle” and then a “pop” before exiting in the sixth inning. Daniel Descalso subbed in, and would likely serve as the Cardinals’ primary shortstop down the stretch if the MRI shows what everyone thinks it will. Semi-prospect Ryan Jackson could be recalled from Triple-A Memphis for depth.
Furcal has started at short in 116 of the Cardinals’ 131 games this season while batting .264/.325/.346.
Descalso, a decent defender all around the infield, owns a .245/.316/.334 career slash line.
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 0
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 8
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 30
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 14
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 21
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 12
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 21
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)