Aug 31, 2012, 6:56 PM EDT
When it came down to it, the Rays cared more about postseason roster flexibility than any sort of moral stand.
Tampa Bay today called up infielder Sean Rodriguez from Triple-A Durham and placed him on the 15-day disabled list with the broken hand he sustained punching a locker after a Bulls game last week.
The reasoning for the move is obvious: the Rays can include Rodriguez on their preliminary postseason roster now and then replace him however they so choose should they reach the postseason.
But it’s a shame Rodriguez gets rewarded in the process. Since the move puts him back on Tampa Bay’s roster, he’ll resume collecting a major league salary that’s probably four or five times what he was earning in the minors and he’ll accrue service time while on the DL.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 33
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 26
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 36
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 89
- The Lester trade is a win-win 113
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (122)