Aug 31, 2012, 6:12 PM EDT
It’s official: the Astros have named Baseball Prospects’ Kevin Goldstein their Coordinator of Pro Scouting.
Earlier this year the Houston Astros were interested in hiring ESPN writer Keith Law for their front office. Then they hired Mike Fast from Baseball Prospectus. In the Jeff Lunhow front office, it seems, writers are the new inefficiency, because Jon Heyman reports thusly:
Months after Luhnow tried to lure Keith Law from ESPN and hired Mike Fast from Baseball Prospectus, the new name being heard is Kevin Goldstein, also from Baseball Prospectus. (Luhnow called Goldstein “very well thought-of” while declining to say whether he’s joining the Astros; Goldstein, known for extensive prospect reviews and clever, sometimes sassy tweets, responded “no comment” via a direct message on Twitter.)
“We want people who are going to share our vision,” Luhnow said. “It doesn’t necessarily need to be a traditional-looking person. We’re going to be open-minded.”
Kevin Goldstein: Clever. Sometimes sassy. Not traditional-looking. I love Kevin, so I could mock him all day!
Seriously, though, hats off (but not Kevin’s, because he ALWAYS wears it) to the Astros for being creative and open-minded in their hiring. When you hit bottom, as the Astros have competitively speaking, there is zero percentage in playing it safe or traditional.
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 48
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 13
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)