The Astros name Kevin Goldstein pro scouting coordinator

Aug 31, 2012, 6:12 PM EDT

astros logo wide

It’s official: the Astros have named Baseball Prospects’ Kevin Goldstein their Coordinator of Pro Scouting.

///

Earlier this year the Houston Astros were interested in hiring ESPN writer Keith Law for their front office.  Then they hired Mike Fast from Baseball Prospectus.  In the Jeff Lunhow front office, it seems, writers are the new inefficiency, because Jon Heyman reports thusly:

Months after Luhnow tried to lure Keith Law from ESPN and hired Mike Fast from Baseball Prospectus, the new name being heard is Kevin Goldstein, also from Baseball Prospectus. (Luhnow called Goldstein “very well thought-of” while declining to say whether he’s joining the Astros; Goldstein, known for extensive prospect reviews and clever, sometimes sassy tweets, responded “no comment” via a direct message on Twitter.)

“We want people who are going to share our vision,” Luhnow said. “It doesn’t necessarily need to be a traditional-looking person. We’re going to be open-minded.”

Kevin Goldstein: Clever. Sometimes sassy. Not traditional-looking. I love Kevin, so I could mock him all day!

Seriously, though, hats off (but not Kevin’s, because he ALWAYS wears it) to the Astros for being creative and open-minded in their hiring.  When you hit bottom, as the Astros have competitively speaking, there is zero percentage in playing it safe or traditional.

1. dondada10 - Aug 31, 2012 at 2:15 PM

Craig if a team, say the Braves, offered you a position in the front office would you take it?

It would mean no more blogging.

• Craig Calcaterra - Aug 31, 2012 at 2:26 PM

This is not false modestly when I say it: I really have no skills that a baseball team would be interested in hiring me for. I don’t have any scouting expertise. I don’t do statistical or performance analysis. I don’t have experience in the game.

I can write, I am sometimes clever and I have a legal background, but not in any areas in which teams typically need legal advice. That’s really not anything a baseball team needs.

• cosanostra71 - Aug 31, 2012 at 2:42 PM

“I really have no skills that a baseball team would be interested in hiring me for.”

Didn’t stop the Astros from hiring Ed Wade…

• Panda Claus - Aug 31, 2012 at 2:43 PM

That’s really not anything a baseball team needs.

So “no” to the Braves it would be.

What I did hear you say is that you’d be perfect for the Astros.

• Francisco (FC) - Aug 31, 2012 at 3:50 PM

Ah, but I bet Color Commentator on the Broadcasting Booth could entice you…

• ufullpj - Aug 31, 2012 at 5:53 PM

Not exactly low-end firms, though (SSD and Thompson Hine). Blogging vs. 2400 billable hours per year (or more)? There’s no way the PPEP is as good with NBC, but you should leverage the GW JD and experience a bit more for some of the legal issues….since the line between athletic fields and courtrooms, interviews and depositions, chat rooms and interrogatories, etc….is perilously blurred.

2. js20011041 - Aug 31, 2012 at 2:16 PM

From what I understand, he isn’t too interested in joining professional baseball, at least, as a scout. I’m not sure what kind of role Luhnow would have in mind. With that said, if Goldstein does become the next member of the Houston Astros, congratulations to him. I sure as hell would miss the podcast though.

3. keithbangedyermom - Aug 31, 2012 at 2:16 PM

That would explain why he posts less frequently than he used to at BP. That place is a turnstile right now.

4. lewp - Aug 31, 2012 at 2:40 PM

I jst sent them my resume in case Goldstein can’t make it.

5. boredfriday - Aug 31, 2012 at 2:51 PM

“Our next email comes from Jeff. Jeff’s from Houston (that’s in Texas, Jason).”

‘…I know, Kevin’

“And Jeff writes….wait, what? No…”

‘You alright, Kevin?’

“Oh.”

‘Sounds like you got something salacious goin’ on over there.’

“No comment.”

‘You gonna need a moment? Cuz if you need time, I can pop outside. Y’know. Just a man and his #rig.’

“…So on that note, we’ll take a break. We’ll come back, talk some baseball, do the goofy stuff and then we’ll be outta here.”

‘You’re gonna bring me on board too, though, right?’

“NO COMMENT”

6. nctaxpro - Aug 31, 2012 at 2:55 PM

When I read the full article, my first thought was that maybe Heyman was angling for a job, or at least an interview.

7. amaninwhite - Aug 31, 2012 at 5:00 PM

Goldstein should be proud to work for the organization that bends over backwards to play a 50-year-old Roger Clemens.

8. keithbangedyermom - Aug 31, 2012 at 7:10 PM

Honestly though….what in gods green earth qualifies a baseball writer to become Pro Scouting coordinator? I’ve read Goldstein for years…I know he knows prospects. But scouting coordinator?? I didn’t think he was a scout. Maybe he is and maybe the job doesnt involve direct scouting, but instead entails organizing the scouting efforts of everyone else.

• danielcp0303 - Aug 31, 2012 at 8:00 PM

There’s no exact science as to what makes a good scout. Not saying it’s easy or anything, but I’m sure someone like him could do some good for an organization.

• paperlions - Aug 31, 2012 at 8:24 PM

Because he is a scout who writes, not a writer that scouts. Good writers tend to be good communicators as well as people with clear and logical thought patterns, understanding of pattern, organization, etc. There are a lot of inherent abilities that make someone a good writer….if someone with those skills can also scout, they will be very useful as a coordinator because of their abilities to clearly communicate ideas to people.

9. stex52 - Sep 1, 2012 at 12:15 AM

Well, they’ve built themselves quite an ORGANIZATION. Probably more coordinators than actual pitching prospects. Too bad they don’t have any players for all of those managers to coordinate.

• paperlions - Sep 1, 2012 at 3:55 AM

Stex, they had no talent anywhere in the organization. None. What, exactly do you expect them to do…go merrily along winning 65 games/year for a decade? The place was a shambles talent-wise and organizationally….and you don’t build an organization over night. Your comments are premature, bitter, and silly.

Final take away from World Series