Sep 1, 2012, 12:10 PM EDT
Huston Street was originally expected to be activated from the disabled list tomorrow, but that won’t happen now after he had a setback with his strained left calf.
Street, who landed on the disabled list on August 12, was scratched from a rehab appearance with Triple-A Tucson last night after he still felt something in his calf while running. Corey Brock of MLB.com reports that he’s scheduled to rejoin the Padres on Monday in Los Angeles to be re-evaluated, so his return date is up in the air at the moment.
Street signed a two-year, $14 million extension with the Padres last month and holds an excellent 0.75 ERA and 45/8 K/BB ratio over 36 innings this season. He is a perfect 21-for-21 in save opportunities while his 0.53 WHIP is the lowest ever for a pitcher who has thrown at least 30 innings in a season. Seriously.
Street’s setback means that Luke Gregerson should continue to handle the closer role for now. He notched his third save of the season last night against the Rockies, despite giving up a solo homer to Andrew Brown.
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 1
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 56
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 24
- Tigers acquire closer Joakim Soria from the Rangers 54
- Phillies officials “have contemplated the possibility of paying off” and releasing Ryan Howard 42
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 20
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 159
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 33
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (160)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)