Sep 1, 2012, 10:55 AM EDT
Kenley Jansen was hospitalized in Denver earlier this week due to an irregular heartbeat. He missed a month last season with the very same issue and he’ll soon find out whether his recent scare will cost him the rest of the season.
According to Dylan Hernandez of the Los Angeles Times, Jansen threw a 25-pitch bullpen session on Friday and plans to play catch today. He’s scheduled to see a heart specialist on Tuesday, who will tell him whether he must continue taking a a blood-thinning medication. His medication prevents clots and strokes, but can also cause severe bleeding. He could bleed to death if he was struck by a baseball, so he isn’t even allowed to sit in the dugout while taking the medication.
If Jansen is cleared by the specialist, he could pitch again as soon as next Friday against the Giants. However, if he is instructed to continue taking the medication, he will not be allowed to throw for four weeks. That would essentially end his season.
Health obviously comes first here, but it’s still a tough break for Jansen, who stepped into the closer role at the end of April and has a 2.54 ERA and 86/19 K/BB ratio over 56 1/3 innings this season. Brandon League and Ronald Belisario are expected to split save chances during his absence.
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 65
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 46
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 9
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 20
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 14
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)