Sep 1, 2012, 4:00 PM EDT
After batting .235 (4-for-17) with a double over six games during a rehab assignment with Triple-A Memphis, Lance Berkman was activated from the disabled list by the Cardinals this afternoon.
Berkman has been sidelined for nearly a month due to right knee inflammation. The 36-year-old isn’t quite 100 percent, so he’s expected to serve as a pinch-hitter and backup first baseman down the stretch while Allen Craig will remain a fixture in the starting lineup.
Berkman has been limited to just 28 games this year due to knee and calf injuries, batting .267/.389/.467 with two homers and seven RBI over 90 plate appearances. He has already hinted that this could be his final season.
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (104)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (95)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (89)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (88)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (82)