Sep 1, 2012, 6:10 PM EDT
When we learned yesterday that Rafael Furcal had a torn ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow, the assumption was that he would undergo Tommy John surgery. That’s not the case. At least not yet.
According to Jenifer Langosch of MLB.com, Furcal will attempt to rehab the injury over the next 4-6 weeks. This timetable leaves open the possibility that he could return if he makes a quick recovery and the Cardinals have another long postseason run. However, the Cardinals will move ahead as if he will not be a factor until 2013. Of course, there’s the chance that the rehab doesn’t work and surgery is required. That scenario would push his return well into the 2013 season.
Furcal, 34, batted .264 with five homers, 12 steals, and a .671 OPS in 121 games this season and is under contract for $7 million next year. Daniel Descalso is expected to get most of the starts at shortstop down the stretch while the light-hitting Pete Kozma was called up from Triple-A Memphis yesterday to provide depth.
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 0
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 69
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 25
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 16
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (87)