Sep 1, 2012, 6:10 PM EDT
When we learned yesterday that Rafael Furcal had a torn ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow, the assumption was that he would undergo Tommy John surgery. That’s not the case. At least not yet.
According to Jenifer Langosch of MLB.com, Furcal will attempt to rehab the injury over the next 4-6 weeks. This timetable leaves open the possibility that he could return if he makes a quick recovery and the Cardinals have another long postseason run. However, the Cardinals will move ahead as if he will not be a factor until 2013. Of course, there’s the chance that the rehab doesn’t work and surgery is required. That scenario would push his return well into the 2013 season.
Furcal, 34, batted .264 with five homers, 12 steals, and a .671 OPS in 121 games this season and is under contract for $7 million next year. Daniel Descalso is expected to get most of the starts at shortstop down the stretch while the light-hitting Pete Kozma was called up from Triple-A Memphis yesterday to provide depth.
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 24
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 33
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 13
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (101)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)