Sep 1, 2012, 8:50 AM EDT
Many have predicted that the Orioles’ negative run differential would eventually catch up with them. Yet here we are on September 1 and the Orioles are just two games behind the Yankees for first place in the American League East. Fun times.
The Orioles continued to put the pressure on last night, topping the Yankees 6-1 in the Bronx. They got there behind seven shutout innings from Miguel Gonzalez, who notched a career-high nine strikeouts. Who? Yes, Miguel Gonzalez. Symbolic of the surprising Orioles, the 28-year-old right-hander now owns a 3.31 ERA over 10 starts and three relief appearances this season.
Mark Reynolds was the big hero on the offensive side, slugging a two-run homer off Hiroki Kuroda in a three-run second inning and a solo shot off Derek Lowe in the top of the ninth. J.J. Hardy also homered while Nick Markakis went 3-for-5 with an RBI single. The Yankees could only muster five hits all night and didn’t get a run until a solo homer by Curtis Granderson in the ninth.
Your Friday box scores:
Phillies 8, Braves 5 (10 innings)
Twins/Royals — PPD (Doubleheader Saturday)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 17
- Zack Wheeler goes six scoreless innings in MLB debut 11
- The San Jose lawsuit against Major League Baseball should be thrown out of court 40
- San Jose sues Major League Baseball, challenging its monopoly power 26
- Original Biogenesis source: “the people running Major League Baseball are the biggest scumbags on Earth” 41
- MLB hands down the suspensions for Tuesday night’s Dodgers-Diamondbacks melee (111)
- Neil deGrasse Tyson explains why beanball wars are stupid (104)
- Democrats beat the Republicans 22-0 in the Congressional Baseball Game (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (88)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires