The Rangers call up top prospect Jurickson Profar

Sep 1, 2012, 9:13 AM EDT

Jurickson Profar AP

Today is September 1, which means rosters can be expanded to include anyone on a team’s 40-man roster. With that in mind, we should see plenty of prospects and minor league veterans added to rosters over the next couple of days. We likely aren’t going to see big names like Dylan Bundy, Billy Hamilton and Wil Myers this month, but the Rangers are calling up Jurickson Profar, who is widely regarded the game’s top position prospect.

Bryce Harper was previously the youngest player in the big leagues, but that title now goes to Profar, who is four months younger and doesn’t turn 20 until next February. Yes, we have 1993 birthdays in MLB now. Try not to get too depressed by that.

Profar, a 6-foot-0 switch-hitter, batted .281/.368/.452 with 14 home runs, 62 RBI, 16 stolen bases and an .820 OPS in 126 games this season with Double-A Frisco. The Curacao native is blocked by Elvis Andrus at shortstop and by Ian Kinsler at second base, so he’s expected to serve as a backup middle infielder down the stretch and possibly during the postseason. But hey, at least Mike Olt has someone to hang out with on the bench.

1. storebrandcookies - Sep 1, 2012 at 9:22 AM

Profar is probably going to be on the playoff roster in case of an injury to Elvis or Kinsler. Won’t see many at-bats just like Olt but he is a better fielder than Michael Young defensively.

• brokea$$lovesmesomeme - Sep 1, 2012 at 11:44 AM

Thank you for re-stating what DJ wrote.

• jl9830 - Sep 1, 2012 at 4:57 PM

He is a better fielder than Michael Young defensively? Are you sure he’s not a better fielder offensively?

• bdvlad - Sep 1, 2012 at 9:33 PM

Young’s defense is pretty offensive these days.

2. dondada10 - Sep 1, 2012 at 9:53 AM

D.J., some fellow Mets fans and I got into an argument about this last night on our message board: Would you trade Dickey for Profar and not much more?

I say yes for two reasons:

1. Besides Wilmer Flores, there’s really nothing but bench players in the system and the 25 man roster badly needs an infusion of position players

2. Dickey, despite being a knuckler, will probably be much less effective by the time the Mets are ready to compete (~2014). With Wheeler and Harvey (plus a slew of other arms that I’m sure you’re aware of), we should trade Dickey while his value is sky-high.

He’s an ace making 5 mil next year. I say we cash in.

• pkers - Sep 1, 2012 at 10:07 AM

In order to have a trade, you need two or more willing parties. I think the Rangers would laugh the Mets right out of the room if they offered Dickey for Profar straight up. The Mets would probably have to offer Wheeler and/or Harvey and some other pieces to get Profar.

• Alex K - Sep 1, 2012 at 10:55 AM

This.

Dickey is awesome. But for an offer of Dickey and not much else there is a 0.0000000000001% chance that Jon Daniels wouldn’t just laugh and hang up the phone. Then he would probably call right back just to hang up on Alderson again. Heck, an offer of Dickey plus Harvey or Wheeler probably wouldn’t get it done, either.

• kiwicricket - Sep 1, 2012 at 10:09 AM

The Mets would be pretty happy with Tejada and Murphy, no?

• alfreddigs - Sep 1, 2012 at 10:11 AM

Dickey is literally twice Profar’s age.

• Alex K - Sep 1, 2012 at 10:57 AM

If anyone said no they are a crazy person.

• old97 - Sep 1, 2012 at 11:05 AM

Seriously? How deluded are NY fans that they think the rest of league is just dying to make deals with them?

Jon Daniels has said a number of times that Profar is untouchable, but even if we forget that, it would take a WHOLE LOT more than Dickey to get him.

I love R.A. I loved him when he was struggling to break into the Rangers’ rotation as a conventional pitcher back in his youth. But Profar/Andrus are (God and Davis/Simpson’s checkbooks willing) going to be the best middle infield in baseball for the next 7-10 years.

• Alex K - Sep 1, 2012 at 11:48 AM

I could see the Rangers trading one of Kinsler or Andrus. I don’t know if it will happen, but it wouldn’t really surprise me. Andrus could probably bring back quite a haul that could fill multiple holes. Heck, maybe the Diamondbacks would talk about an Upton for Andrus trade and then the Rangers can walk away from Hamilton.

• hodaghunter - Sep 1, 2012 at 1:37 PM

Keep in mind the Rangers wouldn’t discuss Greinke for Profar trade straight up. I would think Dickey is maybe one step below Greinke if not in the same classification.

• cosanostra71 - Sep 1, 2012 at 2:20 PM

Yes, I’m sure the Rangers would love to trade their 19 year old top prospect and potential superstar for a 37 year old pitcher.

• bigmeechy74 - Sep 1, 2012 at 11:42 PM

I honestly think you are joking. No way you are serious.

• kappy32 - Sep 2, 2012 at 4:51 AM

I’m a Mets fan & fans like you make me embarrassed to say so publicly. The best prospect in baseball for an almost-40 year old pitcher who has no track record of being good except for this year? The Rangers would laugh at you if you proposed that trade. Mets fans have a terrible habit of overvaluing their players just like that one jackass you always find in every fantasy baseball league. You should be embarrassed by even proposing that question. The only ones who are dumber than you are the other Mets fans who would say no to such a trade.

I’m getting really tired of this “prospect” talk from the Mets front office & fans alike. Since when has NY become a small market where we trade away good players for prospects? We should be trading away our prospects for proven major league talent & using Alderson’s spoken of, but yet to be seen, talent evaluation & sign some good, big $$ free agents. You’re lucky if 1 out of every 4 prospects actually pan out; I’m not willing to take that chance because I don’t want anymore Josh Tholes, Lucas Dudas & Dillon Gees wasting roster spots on this team. There are teams down in Tampa & Pittsburg who love prospects & have no WS titles to show for it. Small market mentality has no business being in NY & until fans make a stand & let the team know that developing AAAA talent is insufficient, mediocrity will continue to reign at Citi Field for many years to come.

• Alex K - Sep 2, 2012 at 11:26 AM

When your team stinks it makes sense to trade away veteran players to take on young players that will be around when the team is good again. The Mets stink. If they could get a couple good prospects for Dickey then they should send him right on his way. Big money free agents aren’t the way the Mets are going to be good again.

3. hardjudge - Sep 1, 2012 at 10:38 AM

I doubt seriously that the Rangers would trade Profar for the whole Met’s roster.

4. hardjudge - Sep 1, 2012 at 10:39 AM

Kensie will probably be traded over the winter for more pitching, leaving a place for Profar at 2nd base.

• old97 - Sep 1, 2012 at 10:59 AM

By “Kensie”, I presume you mean Kinsler. There is zero chance Kinsler is getting traded. Far more likely is Kinsler plays in the outfield and Profar takes his spot at 2B.

I can’t wait to see what this kid can do at the major league level. VERY exciting times in Texas!

• crisisjunky - Sep 1, 2012 at 12:01 PM

Thanks for the updated “Kensie Report”
      Kinsler traded?
      Man, you must have acquired Gus Sand’s eyeball on e-bay to hang out on that limb.
      Kinsler will become the new indispensable version of a (finally, mercifully) released or moved Michael Young.
      1st, 2nd,3rd, a little corner OF, some DH, you get the drill.
      indispensable stick.

• kappy32 - Sep 2, 2012 at 4:59 AM

You guys are wrong about Kinsler. His production, namely his average & OBP, have steadily declined since he broke out. Kinsler is going to command serious money very soon & if there is a chance to get a top of the rotation pitcher for him, Daniels would be stupid to not do it. If Hamilton goes somewhere else this offseason, Kinsler stays. However, if Hamilton stays with a $200 mil contract, either Kinsler or Cruz is going to be moved for pitching help. With Profar coming up they can afford to move one of them & not lose a beat on offense. To win a title they need better starting pitching & moving either one of those guys could put them over the top to win a title for quite a few years to come. Likability doesn’t have anything to do with keeping a player when your payroll is pushing $175 million & you have a glaring need keeping you from forming a dynasty other than the current 90’s Buffalo Bills roll they’re on.

5. Old Gator - Sep 1, 2012 at 11:46 AM

Sorry, I blew all the T S Eliot allusions the last time anyone mentioned this kid. And I don’t compose poetry parodies over three day weekends.

But I will be really interested in seeing this kid play.

• Alex K - Sep 1, 2012 at 11:50 AM

You’ve been on fire lately, Gator. I have actually laughed out loud multiple time this week at things you’ve written.

6. bigleagues - Sep 1, 2012 at 12:28 PM

I was 2 1/2 years older than this kid is now – when he was born. How the hell do I avoid being depressed by that?!

And shit, I’m calling him a kid and it doesn’t feel awkward. I’m no longer a kid. For cryin out loud there is a VP candidate who is only 18 months older than I am.

I think I’m gonna be sick.

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. R. Castillo (3609)