Sep 1, 2012, 9:13 AM EST
Today is September 1, which means rosters can be expanded to include anyone on a team’s 40-man roster. With that in mind, we should see plenty of prospects and minor league veterans added to rosters over the next couple of days. We likely aren’t going to see big names like Dylan Bundy, Billy Hamilton and Wil Myers this month, but the Rangers are calling up Jurickson Profar, who is widely regarded the game’s top position prospect.
Bryce Harper was previously the youngest player in the big leagues, but that title now goes to Profar, who is four months younger and doesn’t turn 20 until next February. Yes, we have 1993 birthdays in MLB now. Try not to get too depressed by that.
Profar, a 6-foot-0 switch-hitter, batted .281/.368/.452 with 14 home runs, 62 RBI, 16 stolen bases and an .820 OPS in 126 games this season with Double-A Frisco. The Curacao native is blocked by Elvis Andrus at shortstop and by Ian Kinsler at second base, so he’s expected to serve as a backup middle infielder down the stretch and possibly during the postseason. But hey, at least Mike Olt has someone to hang out with on the bench.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)