Sep 1, 2012, 9:13 AM EDT
Today is September 1, which means rosters can be expanded to include anyone on a team’s 40-man roster. With that in mind, we should see plenty of prospects and minor league veterans added to rosters over the next couple of days. We likely aren’t going to see big names like Dylan Bundy, Billy Hamilton and Wil Myers this month, but the Rangers are calling up Jurickson Profar, who is widely regarded the game’s top position prospect.
Bryce Harper was previously the youngest player in the big leagues, but that title now goes to Profar, who is four months younger and doesn’t turn 20 until next February. Yes, we have 1993 birthdays in MLB now. Try not to get too depressed by that.
Profar, a 6-foot-0 switch-hitter, batted .281/.368/.452 with 14 home runs, 62 RBI, 16 stolen bases and an .820 OPS in 126 games this season with Double-A Frisco. The Curacao native is blocked by Elvis Andrus at shortstop and by Ian Kinsler at second base, so he’s expected to serve as a backup middle infielder down the stretch and possibly during the postseason. But hey, at least Mike Olt has someone to hang out with on the bench.
- Zack Wheeler goes six scoreless innings in MLB debut 8
- The San Jose lawsuit against Major League Baseball should be thrown out of court 38
- San Jose sues Major League Baseball, challenging its monopoly power 26
- Original Biogenesis source: “the people running Major League Baseball are the biggest scumbags on Earth” 41
- Brian Cashman calls out Yankees hitting coach Kevin Long 52
- MLB hands down the suspensions for Tuesday night’s Dodgers-Diamondbacks melee (111)
- Neil deGrasse Tyson explains why beanball wars are stupid (104)
- Democrats beat the Republicans 22-0 in the Congressional Baseball Game (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (88)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires