The Red Sox had their worst loss since 2000 last night

Sep 1, 2012, 9:59 AM EDT

Red Sox AP AP

Thought things couldn’t get worse for the Red Sox? Think again. They closed out their nightmare August in rather appropriate fashion last night, losing 20-2 to the Athletics while giving up five home runs. As Sean McAdam of CSNNE.com notes, it was Boston’s most lopsided loss since they fell 22-1 to the Yankees on June 19, 2000.

Just icing on the cake, the A’s offensive attack was headlined by three former Red Sox: Josh Reddick, Brandon Moss and George Kottaras. They combined to go 9-for-16 with four home runs and 15 RBI. Reddick, who was dealt to the A’s last offseason in the Andrew Bailey deal, hit his first career grand slam in a nine-run seventh inning while Kottaras had his first career two-homer game.

The Red Sox are now 0-4 to start their nine-game road trip and finished August with a 9-20 record. At 62-71, they now have the same record as the Padres. As for the A’s, well, they just aren’t going away. Bob Melvin’s squad has won seven straight and nine out of 10 to improve 74-57 on the year, which equals their win total from all of last year. They currently hold a 3 1/2 game edge for one of the Wild Card spots.

1. seandconner - Sep 1, 2012 at 10:01 AM

Well what did you expect when they trade away half of their team?????? I am surprised it didn’t happen sooner lol.

• rooney24 - Sep 1, 2012 at 12:13 PM

Half their team? They traded Gonzalez, a pitcher everyone thought they should unload, and a player that just had surgery and can’t play. Well, unless you count Punto, which would not have helped make up 18 runs in a month, much less one game. How is that half their team?

• jimeejohnson - Sep 1, 2012 at 12:32 PM

Here’s how: fried Chicken and cheap, cheap beer lover Josh Beckett weighs as much as half the team.

• badintent - Sep 2, 2012 at 3:55 AM

Just get a hot branding iron and burn AAA( MLB ) into all their butts, that’s what they are and that’s where they ‘re going ….soon, coming to a hick city new year. Nice one with Pedroia, Aceves and Bobo tonight in the dugout. Idiots are us, INC.

• badintent - Sep 2, 2012 at 3:56 AM

Just get a hot branding iron and burn AAA( MLB ) into all their butts, that’s what they are and that’s where they ‘re going ….soon, coming to a hick city near you Nice one with Pedroia, Aceves and Bobo tonight in the dugout. Idiots are us, INC.

• 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Sep 1, 2012 at 1:29 PM

Whether or not what they traded was half of their team, it certainly was tantamount to waving the white flag on this season. Hard to do anything at this point besides shrug and laugh.

At least we’ve got some good races down the stretch to watch.

2. xpensivewinos - Sep 1, 2012 at 10:06 AM

Gee, I wonder if Bobby Valentine has lost the clubhouse???????

• drewsylvania - Sep 1, 2012 at 10:08 AM

Fire him or we won’t be watching much of next year, either.

• paperlions - Sep 1, 2012 at 12:48 PM

You can’t lose something you never had.

3. drewsylvania - Sep 1, 2012 at 10:10 AM

My blame-everyone post in the other thread forgot someone: Cherington, who has done such a MASTERFUL job of trading with the Reddick-Bailey and Melancon-Lowrie debacles.

• bigleagues - Sep 1, 2012 at 10:44 AM

Reddick may end up being a legit mistake.

As for Lowrie he has held to form spending about half his season on the DL, so I’m not quite sure why you would use him as an example unless you were just haplessly piling on.

Melancon remains an enigma. Live arm, strings together great outings, then follows them with awful outings. Find a way to get him consistent and you have a dangerous weapon in your bullpen. But maybe they cut bait after this year.

All I know is I have loved Lowrie’s upside for quite some time. But he CAN’T stay healthy. Some guys have bad genetics, and/or a low tolerance for pain, and it ends up costing a team millions.

• drewsylvania - Sep 1, 2012 at 11:09 AM

Since you’re being condescending, you must have conveniently decided to miss the facts that a) Melancon spent half the year in the minors for being terrible, b) Melancon wasn’t that good to begin with, and c) Good shortstops, even oft-injured ones, are much more valuable than any non-elite reliever.

• drewsylvania - Sep 1, 2012 at 11:18 AM

“Find a way to get him consistent and you have a dangerous weapon in your bullpen.”

I could just as easily say “Find a way to get Lowrie healthy and you have a dangerous weapon in your infield.” Your point is a non-starter.

• bradybbgoat - Sep 1, 2012 at 11:44 AM

FWIW, (not that anyone cares, but) I didn’t think bigleagues was being condescending. He makes a good point on Lowrie. The dude has seemingly been injured every year of his career. The Sox really didn’t need another unreliable injury-prone guy, even if he played a position of need.

Now, trading him for Melancon… well you can understand the appeal at least. The guy appeared to be a good prospect heading into the year and there was a perceived need for bullpen help. Lowrie for a plus reliever with closer potential, that would seem to be good value. Obviously, the trade was a disaster. But sometimes that’s what happens when you trade for young guys, especially pitchers going from the NL to the AL East.

However, I’m still not convinced Lowrie would be a piece of the puzzle going forward, anyways. With Iglesias and Bogaerts waiting in the pipeline I’m not upset that he’s gone.

As for the Bailey disaster though… should have resigned Pap, that’s all I have to say.

• drewsylvania - Sep 1, 2012 at 11:47 AM

“haplessly piling on”

That is condescending, whether he meant it or not.

• stex52 - Sep 1, 2012 at 12:04 PM

I wouldn’t make too much out of that particular trade. Melancon is a difficult issue. He looked extremely solid last year. And the Astros don’t even regard Lowrie as the long term answer. He is injured too much.

The Red Sox’s problems are much too fundamental to fix on that minor trade.

• bigleagues - Sep 1, 2012 at 12:05 PM

Ohhhhh, when did “Ultra-Sensitive Guy” arrive?

You should have told me you were coming I would have had some flowers and wine spritzers awaiting you.

Dude, seriously, if you think I was a condescending in my previous response, then you have not been condescended to.

A) WE ALL KNOW that Melancon spent half the year in the minors for being terrible. I shouldn’t have to restate the obvious for the purposes of my observation.

HOWEVER, apparently I have to restate the obvious for you: the Red Sox pitching depth has been AWFUL for the past two seasons. Neither of us know for sure who or what made itself available for Cherington to acquire this off-season. If giving up Lowrie for Melancon was the best they could do to bolster the bullpen, then so be it.

Next year Lowrie will be 29 – the next season that he plays in as many as 90 Games, will be his first.

Many World Series have been won with a SS far less talented (but far more consistently healthy) SS’s than Jed Lowrie – but very few titles have been won – if any – with a thin bullpen.

Year        Age   G  PA   R   H 2B 3B HR RBI   BA  OBP  SLG  OPS OPS+
        2008         24  81 306  34  67 25  3  2  46 .258 .339 .400 .739   90
        2009         25  32  76   5  10  2  0  2  11 .147 .211 .265 .475   22
        2010         26  55 197  31  49 14  0  9  24 .287 .381 .526 .907  139
        2011         27  88 341  40  78 14  4  6  36 .252 .303 .382 .685   82
        BOS (4 yrs)     256 920 110 204 55  7 19 117 .252 .324 .408 .732   92

Provided by Baseball-Reference.com: View Original TableGenerated 9/1/2012.

So there you have it . . . in 4 years in Boston – he managed to produce exactly ONE THIRD of a ‘very good season’.

So, tell us Professor, what’s so irreplaceable about those numbers?!

That Melancon didn’t work out is besides the point, they took a shot and it didn’t work out. They gave Lowrie FOUR SEASONS – and it didn’t work out. Time to move on.

So, in conclusion, your point . . . had NO POINT.

• bigleagues - Sep 1, 2012 at 12:13 PM

Or drewsylvania,

I almost forgot . . . let’s talk about Lowrie’s 2.5 WAR FOR 4 SEASONS IN BOSTON. That’s barely reserve level.

Oh wait! That’s exactly what he was in Boston – a RESERVE dealt for a bullpen piece that possesses a 92-95 MPH fastball. Sounds like a fairly reasonable exchange to me.

• bigleagues - Sep 1, 2012 at 12:23 PM

“haplessly piling on”

That is condescending, whether he meant it or not.

How is that the case? Because, I as a Red Sox fan, used a synonym for “unhappy” to suggest that a fellow Red Sox fan may be wallowing in misery a little too much by dumping on a GM that was handed a mess, saddled with a manager he didn’t want, asked to make it all work, and when it didn’t was integral in pulling off – if not the biggest trade in MLB history – certainly one of the very biggest . . . a deal that is viewed as an unprecedented heist by virtually every other team in the game . . . a deal that has breathed new life into the franchise? Is that why you perceived my ‘hapless’ comment to be ‘condescending’?

Listen, I’m hot and irritable, but condescending to you was certainly not my intent. But you definitely pissed me off when you made that assertion.

I’ll apologize for my follow-up bitch slap. That was a tad over the top. I’m sorry.

I hope you have a better day though, dude.

• jimeejohnson - Sep 1, 2012 at 12:34 PM

Panties in a bunch? Or did you run out of Depends?

• bigleagues - Sep 1, 2012 at 1:46 PM

jimeejohnson:

All of the above AND I was overly sweaty becuz my GF is from the Carribbean and apparently 85 degrees inside is perfectly normal to her.

4. drewzducks - Sep 1, 2012 at 10:15 AM

Moneyball !

5. hushbrother - Sep 1, 2012 at 10:26 AM

This implies that the Sox would be better off if they still had guys like Moss, Reddick and Kottaras around. I say Oakland can have them. In fact, they’re just the kind of players Oakland seems to fall in love with – mediocre white guys with very little upside. The fact that Oakland is having a good season doesn’t make them special players. Say what you will about the Red Sox and their mistakes but at least they know not to try and build a team around guys like that.

I’ll bet my next house payment the A’s finish under.500 next season.

• dondada10 - Sep 1, 2012 at 10:34 AM

Josh Reddick is really good at baseball.

• drewsylvania - Sep 1, 2012 at 11:11 AM

Let’s see…ignorance, racism, and bad bets. Go to Vegas.

• bigleagues - Sep 1, 2012 at 11:29 AM

I’ll take that bet (and hoping your home is somewhere on the South Shore).

Also, I got a couple of names for you:

- Scott Brosius
      - Paul O’Neill
      - Joe Girardi
      - Luis Sojo
      - Kevin Millar
      - Coco Crisp
      - Bill Mueller

And those are just some of the position players who were plugged into teams that went on to win a World Series.

Not to mention that Reddick has a hose. And who ever said that Reddick was ever being viewed as a centerpiece?

Hindsight is 20/20, but who would you rather have right now? Josh Reddick or Ryan Kalish . . . because they could have reportedly dealt Kalish instead.

• scatterbrian - Sep 1, 2012 at 1:42 PM

“I’ll bet my next house payment the A’s finish under.500 next season.”

The A’s current active roster only has four dudes over 30 years old. I’ll take that bet.

• andrewproughcfe - Sep 1, 2012 at 3:51 PM

Racist, foolish and belligerent. Let me guess — Red Sox fan?

• badintent - Sep 2, 2012 at 4:05 AM

You a damn racist. Vida Blue, Reggie Jackson, mean anything to you ? get your head out of Jessie Jackass’s butt ! who’s on your next list ? The Hispanic players on Miami ? The Asian players for the Yankees ? Lots of great white country hicks throwing BBs for Detroit . Got a problem with them too ? No Black players want to play in Boston, ask Jim Rice !!

6. willclarkgameface - Sep 1, 2012 at 10:30 AM

Last night lowered the Red Sox run differential to +4. They also have as many losses as last place Toronto and only lead them by a game due to 2 more wins.

I’m pretty floored by this team this year. I never thought in a million years the Red Sox would let things get this bad. I think one of my quotes this last decade was something to the effect of “The Red Sox will never again know what it is to finish in last place. They now have the financial stability to remain competitive until this ownership group leaves town.”

Damn was I wrong.

This team sucks big time. I don’t see a playoff push until at least 2014 even if they do sign some free agents this winter.

7. legacybroken - Sep 1, 2012 at 10:50 AM

I wonder whose cellphone was used to complain to ownership about Bobby V after last nights game?

• Glenn - Sep 1, 2012 at 11:15 AM

Bobby V called ownership himself. He has to want out as much as anyone else wants him out.

• keithbangedyermom - Sep 1, 2012 at 12:50 PM

Yeah really. Christ, when they fire him, it will be a relief for the guy. And then he can go tend bar again and collect Boston’s money for a year.

8. largebill - Sep 1, 2012 at 11:08 AM

As an Indians fan it is depressing to see you disparage the Boston August record which as bad as it was still was much better than the Tribe’s. At the All Star break Cleveland was maybe a game or two out of first. Now, they’re close to 20 games behind Chicago & Detroit.

• willclarkgameface - Sep 1, 2012 at 11:26 AM

Not to rub salt in the wound, but the Red Sox falling to these depths is a much bigger story than your Indians.

The Indians first half story the last two years was pretty cool and made you think that a team like that could really be competitive versus the big boys in the AL. But then they came back to Earth and are performing about where we thought they would, maybe a little worse.

The Red Sox were expected to win last year and at least be in the mix in 2012. No such luck on either counts.

9. shockgee - Sep 1, 2012 at 11:11 AM

This team just sucks. First things fricking last, at least… they need to get a zero-tolerance, drill sergeant, Kirk Gibson type of manager in there to curb all the prima donna, entitled personalities. If you don’t like it, there’s the door to the DFA. Worried about a contract in the dog days of summer, there’s the door to DFA. Looking at you Ortiz. Valentine is just a clown. No one respects him so no one is gonna give it their all. Forget trying to one up the Yanks every season by acquiring free agent mega-deals. Seems once you get paid, you play at a mediocre level for the next 6-8 years. Take a lesson from the A’s, the Rays, O’s, play with heart. There was the ’04 idiots, now they’re just idiots.

• jimeejohnson - Sep 1, 2012 at 12:37 PM

Red Sox are one game worse in the loss column than the Mets. How pathetic is that?

• keithbangedyermom - Sep 1, 2012 at 12:51 PM

LOL….and you guys had twice the payroll. NICE JOB!!

• krbtx - Sep 1, 2012 at 12:54 PM

well, considering the Sox payroll is $50 million more than the Mets and the Mets had absolutely no expectations of being a contender this year, yeah, that’s pathetic

oh and unlike the Sox, at least the Mets have one positive this year, R.A. Dickey

• jackrabbit56 - Sep 1, 2012 at 2:11 PM

..and the Mets weren’t expected to anything at all this season. Somehow, for the first half of the season, they at least had the pretense of being a factor. Unfortunately, the All Star break found most Mets finding the time to realize “oh sh!t, we’re the Mets, we suck…”.

10. elgorditodehumboldt - Sep 1, 2012 at 12:46 PM

Boston sucking ass is the gift that keeps on giving. Buck Foston!

11. paperlions - Sep 1, 2012 at 12:58 PM

Here the comment I got from every Red Sox fan I know over the last 2 weeks when asked about the Red Sox (some version of): “It’s football season. I think about the Red Sox again after the superbowl.”

They are just so tired of the drama, the media, the front office, and Valentine’s pettiness (locally viewed are regularly throwing gasoline on the fire). Oddly enough, compared to the national perspective, not a single one of them blames the players for anything but poor play….and to a man and woman, they all love the big trade with Los Angeles, but don’t really think the Red Sox will compete next year unless they make some major moves.

12. stairwayto7 - Sep 1, 2012 at 1:37 PM

Contract the Redsox..NOW!!

13. tbd3 - Sep 1, 2012 at 1:52 PM

I’m a huge fan of the Red Sox, through thick and thin, but I have to force myself to watch the games nowadays. This was embarrassing. I’m heartbroken over the state of this team, and if I don’t get to watch the Bruins this year…

Managers get easier path to Cooperstown
  1. H. Street (3422)