Sep 1, 2012, 9:59 AM EDT
Thought things couldn’t get worse for the Red Sox? Think again. They closed out their nightmare August in rather appropriate fashion last night, losing 20-2 to the Athletics while giving up five home runs. As Sean McAdam of CSNNE.com notes, it was Boston’s most lopsided loss since they fell 22-1 to the Yankees on June 19, 2000.
Just icing on the cake, the A’s offensive attack was headlined by three former Red Sox: Josh Reddick, Brandon Moss and George Kottaras. They combined to go 9-for-16 with four home runs and 15 RBI. Reddick, who was dealt to the A’s last offseason in the Andrew Bailey deal, hit his first career grand slam in a nine-run seventh inning while Kottaras had his first career two-homer game.
The Red Sox are now 0-4 to start their nine-game road trip and finished August with a 9-20 record. At 62-71, they now have the same record as the Padres. As for the A’s, well, they just aren’t going away. Bob Melvin’s squad has won seven straight and nine out of 10 to improve 74-57 on the year, which equals their win total from all of last year. They currently hold a 3 1/2 game edge for one of the Wild Card spots.
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 8
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 4
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 14
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 21
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 62
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 49
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (131)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)