Sep 1, 2012, 9:59 AM EDT
Thought things couldn’t get worse for the Red Sox? Think again. They closed out their nightmare August in rather appropriate fashion last night, losing 20-2 to the Athletics while giving up five home runs. As Sean McAdam of CSNNE.com notes, it was Boston’s most lopsided loss since they fell 22-1 to the Yankees on June 19, 2000.
Just icing on the cake, the A’s offensive attack was headlined by three former Red Sox: Josh Reddick, Brandon Moss and George Kottaras. They combined to go 9-for-16 with four home runs and 15 RBI. Reddick, who was dealt to the A’s last offseason in the Andrew Bailey deal, hit his first career grand slam in a nine-run seventh inning while Kottaras had his first career two-homer game.
The Red Sox are now 0-4 to start their nine-game road trip and finished August with a 9-20 record. At 62-71, they now have the same record as the Padres. As for the A’s, well, they just aren’t going away. Bob Melvin’s squad has won seven straight and nine out of 10 to improve 74-57 on the year, which equals their win total from all of last year. They currently hold a 3 1/2 game edge for one of the Wild Card spots.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 1
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 5
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 32
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 236
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 96
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (237)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (86)