Sep 2, 2012, 7:57 PM EDT
Adrian Gonzalez delivered a two-run double off J.J. Putz in the bottom of the ninth to give the Dodgers a 5-4 victory over the Diamondbacks on Sunday.
The Dodgers lost the first two games of the four-game series against Arizona before their newest imports came up big the last two days. Josh Beckett picked up the win in a 2-1 game Saturday after holding the Diamondbacks to one run in 6 2/3 innings. Gonzalez had two doubles today after going 1-for-13 with no RBI in the first three games of the series.
Gonzalez hit a three-run homer Aug. 25 in his first at-bat for the Dodgers, but he was 5-for-32 with no extra-base hits since.
Today’s double was Gonzalez’s sixth career game-winning hit. He had four, including two homers, during his time with the Padres. He had just one for the Red Sox, that coming on May 16, 2011 against the Orioles.
The victory kept the Dodgers 4 1/2 games back of the Giants in the NL West. At 72-63, they’re a half-game back of the second wild card (St. Louis is 72-62).
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 3
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 28
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 19
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 87
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 59
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 55
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (88)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)