Sep 2, 2012, 7:57 PM EST
Adrian Gonzalez delivered a two-run double off J.J. Putz in the bottom of the ninth to give the Dodgers a 5-4 victory over the Diamondbacks on Sunday.
The Dodgers lost the first two games of the four-game series against Arizona before their newest imports came up big the last two days. Josh Beckett picked up the win in a 2-1 game Saturday after holding the Diamondbacks to one run in 6 2/3 innings. Gonzalez had two doubles today after going 1-for-13 with no RBI in the first three games of the series.
Gonzalez hit a three-run homer Aug. 25 in his first at-bat for the Dodgers, but he was 5-for-32 with no extra-base hits since.
Today’s double was Gonzalez’s sixth career game-winning hit. He had four, including two homers, during his time with the Padres. He had just one for the Red Sox, that coming on May 16, 2011 against the Orioles.
The victory kept the Dodgers 4 1/2 games back of the Giants in the NL West. At 72-63, they’re a half-game back of the second wild card (St. Louis is 72-62).
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 21
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 19
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 373
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (373)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (91)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)