Sep 2, 2012, 7:57 PM EDT
Adrian Gonzalez delivered a two-run double off J.J. Putz in the bottom of the ninth to give the Dodgers a 5-4 victory over the Diamondbacks on Sunday.
The Dodgers lost the first two games of the four-game series against Arizona before their newest imports came up big the last two days. Josh Beckett picked up the win in a 2-1 game Saturday after holding the Diamondbacks to one run in 6 2/3 innings. Gonzalez had two doubles today after going 1-for-13 with no RBI in the first three games of the series.
Gonzalez hit a three-run homer Aug. 25 in his first at-bat for the Dodgers, but he was 5-for-32 with no extra-base hits since.
Today’s double was Gonzalez’s sixth career game-winning hit. He had four, including two homers, during his time with the Padres. He had just one for the Red Sox, that coming on May 16, 2011 against the Orioles.
The victory kept the Dodgers 4 1/2 games back of the Giants in the NL West. At 72-63, they’re a half-game back of the second wild card (St. Louis is 72-62).
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 56
- Zack Wheeler goes six scoreless innings in MLB debut 15
- The San Jose lawsuit against Major League Baseball should be thrown out of court 43
- San Jose sues Major League Baseball, challenging its monopoly power 26
- MLB hands down the suspensions for Tuesday night’s Dodgers-Diamondbacks melee (111)
- Neil deGrasse Tyson explains why beanball wars are stupid (104)
- Democrats beat the Republicans 22-0 in the Congressional Baseball Game (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (88)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead