Sep 2, 2012, 7:57 PM EDT
Adrian Gonzalez delivered a two-run double off J.J. Putz in the bottom of the ninth to give the Dodgers a 5-4 victory over the Diamondbacks on Sunday.
The Dodgers lost the first two games of the four-game series against Arizona before their newest imports came up big the last two days. Josh Beckett picked up the win in a 2-1 game Saturday after holding the Diamondbacks to one run in 6 2/3 innings. Gonzalez had two doubles today after going 1-for-13 with no RBI in the first three games of the series.
Gonzalez hit a three-run homer Aug. 25 in his first at-bat for the Dodgers, but he was 5-for-32 with no extra-base hits since.
Today’s double was Gonzalez’s sixth career game-winning hit. He had four, including two homers, during his time with the Padres. He had just one for the Red Sox, that coming on May 16, 2011 against the Orioles.
The victory kept the Dodgers 4 1/2 games back of the Giants in the NL West. At 72-63, they’re a half-game back of the second wild card (St. Louis is 72-62).
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 0
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 19
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 25
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 48
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 136
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (136)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)