Sep 2, 2012, 10:55 AM EDT
Drama continues to surround this Red Sox team.
According to Sean McAdam of CSN New England, second baseman Dustin Pedroia and right-hander Alfredo Aceves got into a “heated argument” on Saturday in the visitors dugout at Oakland’s O.Co Coliseum. It was all verbal, but they eventually had to be separated by third base coach Jerry Royster.
McAdam got the inside scoop after the game:
According to a source, the argument was the result of Aceves attempting to direct the positioning of the infielders. Defensive positioning in the infield is the purview of Royster, who doubles as the team’s infield instructor.
The source added that Pedroia, angry over Aceves’s directions, essentially told the volatile reliever to concentrate on pitching and that the infielders would focus on positioning themselves properly.
Aceves also dropped a pop-up in the previous half-inning after calling off multiple converging infielders. The Red Sox went on to lose the game 7-1 and have now dropped to 10 games below the .500 mark. It’s a mess.
UPDATE, 11:25 AM: MLB.com has video of the argument from the NESN (Red Sox) feed.
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 7
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 99
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 54
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 18
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 8
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (113)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (99)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (79)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- Watch LIVE: Bruins-Rangers
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks look to even series with Red Wings
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1