Sep 2, 2012, 9:41 AM EDT
Brandon Inge is done for the 2012 season.
According to Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle, the veteran third baseman re-injured his right shoulder on Saturday night in the A’s 7-1 victory over the Red Sox and will undergo surgery in a week that will require six months of recovery time.
“My damn shoulder came out again,” Inge told reporters after the game. “I gave it my best shot. I knew it was going to be rough coming into it. In a year like this, you don’t leave anything on the table. I literally gave everything I had to offer to this team. And I’m at peace with it.”
Josh Donaldson seems likely to serve as the A’s primary third baseman down the stretch. Inge, 35, will finish up with a .218/.275/.383 batting line, 12 home runs and 54 RBI. He’ll be a free agent this winter.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 64
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 50
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 58
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)