Sep 2, 2012, 9:41 AM EDT
Brandon Inge is done for the 2012 season.
According to Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle, the veteran third baseman re-injured his right shoulder on Saturday night in the A’s 7-1 victory over the Red Sox and will undergo surgery in a week that will require six months of recovery time.
“My damn shoulder came out again,” Inge told reporters after the game. “I gave it my best shot. I knew it was going to be rough coming into it. In a year like this, you don’t leave anything on the table. I literally gave everything I had to offer to this team. And I’m at peace with it.”
Josh Donaldson seems likely to serve as the A’s primary third baseman down the stretch. Inge, 35, will finish up with a .218/.275/.383 batting line, 12 home runs and 54 RBI. He’ll be a free agent this winter.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 21
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (83)