Chipper Jones walks off with bomb off Jonathan Papelbon

Sep 2, 2012, 8:45 PM EDT

Chipper Jones walkoff

Chipper Jones has no intention of going out with a whimper.

Atlanta’s future Hall of Fame third baseman launched a three-run homer off Jonathan Papelbon with two outs in the bottom of the ninth as the Braves edged the Phillies 8-7 on Sunday.

The Braves trailed 7-3 entering the bottom of the ninth before getting two on against Jeremy Horst. Papelbon came on with one out for what looked like a pretty easy save chance, but after striking out Lyle Overbay on a pitch that looked outside, he walked Michael Bourn to load the bases. Martin Prado then hit a chopper down the line that Kevin Frandsen couldn’t decide to how to play. It ended up getting past him for a two-run double, allowing Chipper to come up and end the Braves’ three-game losing streak with a bomb to right center.

It was Chipper’s ninth career walkoff homer. He also had one against the Phillies back on May 2 in an 11-inning game. Before that, he hadn’t had one since 2006. It’s the second time he’s had a walkoff homer with the Braves trailing, as opposed to being a tie game.

Papelbon blew his fourth save in 35 opportunities. He’s given up six homers this year after allowing just three in his final season with Boston.

Jones, who reiterated after the game that he still intends to retire at season’s end, is hitting .302 with 14 homers and 58 RBI.

1. leerosenthall - Sep 2, 2012 at 8:54 PM

Man, if I were Cole Hamels I’d slash the tires on Papelbon’s Lamborghini.

• theunvarnishedtruths - Sep 2, 2012 at 11:36 PM

Check out the amazing video from right behind home plate!!!

2. stairwayto7 - Sep 2, 2012 at 8:55 PM

Papelbon just another overrated Redsox!

• 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Sep 3, 2012 at 2:28 AM

…who happens to have a WS ring.

• ponsonbybritt - Sep 3, 2012 at 10:40 AM

…and is only as good as his last appearance.

3. chill1184 - Sep 2, 2012 at 9:05 PM

Papelbon more like PapeLOLbon amirite?

4. deafrecon - Sep 2, 2012 at 9:07 PM

whatthefuckelbon

5. annaalamode - Sep 2, 2012 at 9:13 PM

So just how hard are Phillies fans going to be trolled in tomorrow’s ATH?

6. Jonny 5 - Sep 2, 2012 at 9:14 PM

Chipper Jones has hurt the Phillies more than any other player in the history of baseball. Fact.

• dondada10 - Sep 2, 2012 at 10:19 PM

He named his first born son Shea. I think he just owns the NL East.

7. natslady - Sep 2, 2012 at 9:16 PM

Useless, useless Fillies!!! And Papelbon, you couldn’t do that last week when the Nats were in town????

• natstowngreg - Sep 2, 2012 at 9:58 PM

Bummer that the Fightins’ failed as spoiler today. But the Nats won.The Nats keep winning, they won’t need to worry so much about the Braves being spoiled. The real losers from the Braves’ win are the teams chasing them for the right to play in the 2012 National League Death Match(TM).

8. thetruth702 - Sep 2, 2012 at 9:24 PM

Not paplebon bein overrated… It’s Chipper Jones bein one of the greatest swith hitters to ever live. Better hitting beats better pitching….plus the phillies are GARBAGE.. :)

9. ramblingphilliesfan - Sep 2, 2012 at 9:38 PM

I don’t think I’ve ever hated a Phillies player as much as Jonathan Papelbon. And this is just year one…of five (six if they get unlucky with the option).

10. Walk - Sep 2, 2012 at 9:38 PM

I thought the braves were done for after maholm gave up five runs early. I still watched the game and was stunned by chipper’s bomb. Hopefully this sparks a resurgance, they have lost something like eight of twelve coming into today. McCann, janish and uggla have been automatic outs. Heyward is an automatic out if the ball is kept down and away. Top heavy lineup right now with just four consistent hitters with chipper needing extra off days. I really want the braves to do well in the playoffs as this might be the last year they make it for a while. Liberty media is commited to making a buck over winning. As long as they are making a profit they are not going to address the left field position and continue to let their players walk away. Great game tonight though.

11. advantageschneider - Sep 2, 2012 at 9:47 PM

Prado got a hit on the play before that? Are Major League 3rd basemen unable to take two steps and field a ball? It hit his glove.

12. thephilsabide - Sep 2, 2012 at 9:51 PM

They shouldn’t be trolled TOO much. The 3rd place, out of it Phillies still took 2 of 3 against the Braves in Atlanta…

• bobulated - Sep 2, 2012 at 10:54 PM

Which made them a sparkling 5-9 vs the Braves this season. Well played.

• jon623 - Sep 3, 2012 at 9:15 PM

And by “They” you clearly mean “We.” Kinda hard to hide from it when “phil” is in your name.

And no no, trust me, they’ll still get it hard. Actually, by looking at the comments, it looks like it won’t wait until tomorrow.

13. theunvarnishedtruths - Sep 2, 2012 at 11:36 PM

Was SO GLAD we didnt leave early….check out amazing video from right behind home plate http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pr_pc4MoT1U&feature=colike

GO BRAVES!!!!!

14. pisano - Sep 3, 2012 at 12:08 AM

So what’s so odd about Papelbum’s implosion? ask most Boston fans and they’ll tell you they’ve heard this song many times before. Better yet ask Yankee fans,they were sick when he left Boston.

• revansrevenant - Sep 3, 2012 at 1:16 AM

This surprises me not a bit. I remember I was watching the Sox and Angels in the playoffs in 2009, this was before everyone knew he was a choke artist. Paps needed to close the game for the Sox to stay alive, and my uncle was saying that there was no way the Sox were going to lose the game, not with Paps closing. I said, “He’s going to choke.” He did. I knew, before everyone else that he couldn’t handle the pressure. So the past two seasons have just been validation of everything I’ve believed about him for years.

• 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Sep 3, 2012 at 2:33 AM

Interesting. I seem to recall him not having given up a postseason run before that point. That includes the time he, you know, closed out the 2007 World Series. He’s also 31/35 this year. But you’re right, all the guy ever does is choke…..

15. phillyphann83 - Sep 3, 2012 at 11:57 AM

this was absolutely deflating. things were looking good, 2 of 3 vs. cards, sweeping the nats(that’s for you, bandwagon fan natslady), then split vs. reds, and about to sweep the braves. just absolutely deflating. I think after watching Chipper beat us my entire life, I have a keen sense of when its coming because that was the only pitch of his at-bat that I closed my eyes for, I just had a baaaddddd feeling. But don’t just blame Papelbon, Scrub Fransden is responsible for that error at 3rd right before Chipper came up to bat, shoulda been game over. oh well. 5 straight NL East titles and a World Series win is satisfying. I guess we earned a down year.

16. stlouis1baseball - Sep 4, 2012 at 9:18 AM

Stupid Paplebon.

A's, Tigers big winners at trade deadline