Sep 2, 2012, 1:09 PM EDT
One of the best position prospects in baseball will begin his major league career on Sunday afternoon.
Drew Davison of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram reports that second baseman Ian Kinsler has been scratched from the Rangers’ series finale against the Indians because of stiffness in his back and that 19-year-old Jurickson Profar has been asked to fill in.
Profar was called up from Double-A Frisco on Saturday after batting .281/.368/.452 with 14 home runs and 16 stolen bases in 126 games. He is being groomed as a shortstop but will play more of a utility role down the stretch this season for Texas.
The Rangers enter play Sunday with a three-game lead over the A’s in the American League West.
Profar ranked seventh this past winter on Baseball America‘s list of the Top 100 prospects.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 22
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (83)