Sep 2, 2012, 11:38 AM EST
Joey Votto is just about ready for active duty.
The 28-year-old first baseman hit a solo home run Saturday in his rehab debut with Triple-A Louisville, finishing 1-for-3 with two strikeouts while feeling no lingering discomfort in his surgically-repaired knee.
Votto went 1-for-5 with with an RBI and three walks in his first three rehab games last week with the Low-A Dayton Dragons, and seems to be almost back to full health after an absence of nearly two months.
The plan, according to John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer, is for Votto to return to the Reds on Monday.
Cincy enters play Sunday with an 8.5-game lead over the Cardinals in the National League Central.
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 0
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 306
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (135)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)