Sep 2, 2012, 6:54 PM EDT
San Diego outhit Colorado 20-11 and scored in seven innings to the Rockies’ three yet still took a loss in an 11-10 game at Coors Field on Sunday.
The Padres became the first team in exactly two years to collect 20 hits in a nine-inning game and lose. It last happened on Sept. 2, 2010, also at Coors Field, with the Rockies on the losing end of a 12-11 game against the Phillies.
Prior to that, it happened four times in 2008, with the Rockies again involved on two occasions. It’s happened 12 times in all since 2000.
It was a rough day for Casey Kelly, who shut out the Braves for six innings Monday in his major league debut. He gave up seven runs — five earned — in 5 2/3 innings today.
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 7
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 24
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 43
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 27
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 39
- The wait is over: The Cubs are calling up top prospect Kris Bryant on Friday 99
- Carlos Gomez headed to disabled list with hamstring injury 11
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract 153
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)