Sep 2, 2012, 8:37 AM EDT
In a preview of a potential postseason matchup, the Cardinals topped the Nationals 10-9 on Sunday afternoon in Washington, D.C., snapping a four-game losing streak while moving 1 1/2 games ahead of the Pirates (who lost) and the Dodgers (who won) in the National League Wild Card standings.
David Freese, the big hero from last October, went 3-for-5 with a home run to center field and three total RBI. Jon Jay finished 3-for-4 and made two great grabs in center field. Jason Motte closed it out with a perfect 10-pitch ninth inning for his 32nd save of the season.
The Cardinals lost 9-0 to the Pirates on Tuesday, 5-0 to the Pirates on Wednesday, then 8-1 to the Nationals on Thursday and 10-0 on Friday. But the offense seems to have found new life, and the schedule gets easier when the Redbirds return home on Monday for a six-game homestand with the Mets and Brewers.
St. Louis has six games left against the Astros.
Your Saturday box scores and recaps:
Twins 3, Royals 1 (Game 1)
Twins 8, Royals 7 (Game 2)
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 12
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 3
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 3
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case 59
- Rafael Soriano took back all that stuff he said about Bryce Harper 12
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (110)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (70)
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games