Sep 3, 2012, 4:24 PM EDT
UPDATE: This is strange. Marc Topkin reports that Longoria left the game “for precautionary reasons,” given that the Rays were playing a day game after a travel day. Which, OK, but the game was tied 3-3 and the Rays are fighting for their playoff lives. Are the Nationals making decisions about his playing time now too?
3: 48 PM: No word yet on why he’s out, and there was no apparent injury while he was in the game, but Evan Longoria left the Yankees-Rays game after the seventh inning today.
As Marc Topkin notes, Longoria said today that he was feeling fine and had no plans to miss any more games for the rest of the season, so this is something of a mystery at the moment.
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 11
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 204
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 93
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 82
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (207)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (94)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (84)