Sep 3, 2012, 1:24 PM EDT
UPDATE: OK, Valentine is safe for the season:
John Henry reiterates that Valentine will manage the rest of the season. Here to assess the team, talk to people, etc.
— Pete Abraham (@PeteAbe) September 3, 2012
October 1, though? Well. Stay tuned.
8: 27 AM: Bobby Valentine: The Emperor’s coming here?
Larry Lucchino: That is correct, Commander. And, he is most displeased with your apparent lack of progress.
Bobby Valentine: We shall double our efforts.
Larry Lucchino: I hope so, Commander, for your sake. The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am.
With the team in tatters on the West Coast — six straight losses, outscored in the six games by an astounding 54-15 — the Boston Herald’s Michael Silverman reported Monday morning that owner John Henry and general manager Ben Cherington have flown to Seattle, where the Sox will begin a three-game series against the Mariners today.
There have been no votes of confidence or anything like that. And there have been no real justifications for one even if there had been. It seems inevitable that Bobby Valentine is a one-and-done manager for the Red Sox, even if what has happened this year cannot be fairly laid at his feet. He was dropped in to an untenable position to being with in a job unsuited to his strengths.
Still, failure is failure and it’s hard to envision a situation in which Valentine is the manager for this team in 2013.
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 7
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 22
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 10
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 79
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 90
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 103
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (108)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (91)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)