Meet the hitters who are less productive than Dan Uggla

Sep 3, 2012, 3:15 PM EDT

Jeff Francoeur AP AP

Dan Uggla has been benched by Braves manager Fredi Gonzalez after hitting .152 in 74 games since June 6, which is remarkably awful production for a remarkably long time.

However, during that three-month stretch Uggla didn’t even have the lowest OPS in baseball. In fact, among hitters with at least 200 plate appearance since June 6 he doesn’t have one of the 10 worst OPS totals:

OPS
Justin Smoak       .465
Josh Thole         .506
Rafael Furcal      .551
Jeff Francoeur     .553
J.J. Hardy         .564
Daniel Descalso    .574
Brian Bogusevic    .575
Jemile Weeks       .576
Gregor Blanco      .578
Clint Barmes       .579
Brian Dozier       .579
DAN UGGLA          .580

Some pretty big–or at least recognizable–names on that list, although one key difference with Uggla is that a) he’s also a poor defender at second base, and b) he’s making $13 million while being owed another $39 million for the next three seasons.

1. Gonzo - Sep 3, 2012 at 3:29 PM

I know that hitting .152 is terrible; hitting .275 is good and .300 is terrific. But I dont know what is considered a bad/good/better/great OPS number is. Can someone help me out?

• raysfan1 - Sep 3, 2012 at 3:33 PM

From Bill James:

Category Classification OPS Range
      A Great .9000 and Higher
      B Moderate .8333 to .8999
      C Above Average .7667 to .8333
      D Average .7000 to .7666
      E Below Average .6334 to .6999
      F Poor .5667 to .6333
      G Atrocious .5666 and Lower

• Gonzo - Sep 3, 2012 at 3:49 PM

Thanks, dude. Pretty straight forward.

• braddavery - Sep 3, 2012 at 6:02 PM

What’s amusing is that the difference between Moderate and Great is .001

• kmgannon - Sep 3, 2012 at 10:58 PM

Baseball is a game of inches. And of thousandth-place decimal points, too, apparently.

2. kiwicricket - Sep 3, 2012 at 3:31 PM

You cant simply list guys with their OPS and state they are worse hitters than Uggla over that particular period. What about the number of HR and RBI they have during that time?? **

• dondada10 - Sep 3, 2012 at 4:10 PM

In a game without a clock, you can’t just constantly make outs.

Whatever respectability his OPS does have is driven by his homeruns. Swinging for the fences in every at-bat is a horrible approach, though.

• kiwicricket - Sep 3, 2012 at 4:35 PM

Ohh come on guys. It was sarcasm. It even has the little star** thingies.

• dondada10 - Sep 3, 2012 at 8:55 PM

My bad.

• stex52 - Sep 4, 2012 at 8:53 AM

Good move Kiwi. I like the star thingies better than smiley faces for sarcasm. Will watch for them in the future.

• stlouis1baseball - Sep 4, 2012 at 11:11 AM

I picked up on the star thingies Kiwi.
        For what it’s worth…I like them as our new “sarcasm illustrator.”
        I am gonna’ start using them myself. Good work.

3. biasedhomer - Sep 3, 2012 at 3:39 PM

Uggla is known for his hot and cold streaks. He is just having a horrible cold streak right now.

• kiwicricket - Sep 3, 2012 at 3:48 PM

A horrible cold streak which is nearly half a season long?

• bobulated - Sep 3, 2012 at 3:51 PM

This is why the Braves got him for pennies on the dollar; as incompetent as the Marlins front office can be at times, even they realized Uggla was one dimensional player who was a butcher at 2nd. When he’s not hitting home runs he has basically negative value and even when he is hitting and hitting for power, he has to hit way above league average to make up for his Michael Jackson impression at second. As a Braves fan I thought this was a terrible deal when they made it, then compounded it by giving him silly money and now surprise, surprise; his regression after age 30 has made him an anchor on their budget and team. Well played, Frank Wren, well played.

• bobulated - Sep 3, 2012 at 3:56 PM

And to compound they made this deal with a much cheaper, all-star player caliber 2B in Martin Prado enjoying his break out years already in their pocket. Just blows my mind that they thought an awful defensive player who always swings for the fences, is an out machine and won’t situational hit to save his life was the the answer.

• Gonzo - Sep 3, 2012 at 4:51 PM

Uggla hit 263/349/488 in his 5 years in Miami. Averaged 30 doubles and 30 homers. That’s quality hitting. No one saw this kind of decline coming.

• bobulated - Sep 3, 2012 at 4:59 PM

I’m sorry, I didn’t realize the Braves were paying him 13 million a year for what he did as a Marlin during his 20s in mostly meaningless games. My bad.

• Gonzo - Sep 3, 2012 at 5:07 PM

I didn’t realize you were the inspiration for Captain Hindsight. We all know he was a bad fielder. But his offense always offset that.

• bobulated - Sep 3, 2012 at 11:29 PM

Actually if you go by WAR it barely, barely did and lets say you’re a GM and have oh, I don’t know, over 100 years of baseball history to go by and realize that 99% of the guys that play this game start going downhill at age 30.
        I’m not going by hindsight, as I said in my initial comment, I called this when the Braves made this deal.

• Old Gator - Sep 4, 2012 at 1:17 AM

The Feesh were going to pay him a huge amount of money too, just not enough for him, so whatever they realized, in the end they just plain lucked out.

4. plmathfoto - Sep 3, 2012 at 4:59 PM

I guess Jason Bay doesn’t have 200 plate appearances during that time?

5. randall351 - Sep 3, 2012 at 7:14 PM

Oh yeah, well Frenchy leads the league in Outfield assists.

-signed Dayton Moore.

6. fuddpucker - Sep 4, 2012 at 3:48 AM

See what happens to average guys who get off the juice?

7. willclarkgameface - Sep 4, 2012 at 10:45 AM

Uggla can’t concentrate on the field and therefore should not be allowed to be a starter. Fielding and baserunning errors aplenty and the dude can barely hit above the Mendoza line. That last sentence makes him sound like a failed September call-up. He needs to get his head together this fall and come back in the spring refreshed and ready to play. Otherwise, it has to be over for this guy.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5251)