Pablo Sandoval’s weight is becoming an issue again

Sep 3, 2012, 10:45 AM EST

San Francisco Giants v Houston Astros Getty Images

Seems like Bruce Bochy voicing his displeasure over Pablo Sandoval‘s weight is an annual occurrence:

“It’s an ongoing issue, obviously, something that he’s been battling,” Bochy said. “He showed last year that he’s a different player when his weight is down.”

Asked if Sandoval’s current weight is acceptable, Bochy said, “We’re maintaining it. We’re happy with that. I won’t lie to you, I’d like to get him down a little bit. It’s hard in September to have that in your focus. He needs to get back with the program he had two years ago.”

It’s to the point now where it’s almost worse that Sandoval came into 2011 in great shape. Because now we all know he can take care of himself and get his body ready for a peak physical exertion, he just chooses not to.

1. ladyatthebat - Sep 3, 2012 at 10:48 AM

Aaron Gleeman should have written this post.

• proudlycanadian - Sep 3, 2012 at 10:54 AM

Yes, but is he getting the girls?

• lindaswayner - Sep 4, 2012 at 3:32 PM

I think he eats them.

2. raysfan1 - Sep 3, 2012 at 10:56 AM

They are concerned about his weight yet are at least somewhat celebrating it with Garden Gnome night 3 weeks.

• dondada10 - Sep 3, 2012 at 11:18 AM

Great point. Something tells me Gnome night wasn’t Bochey’s idea.

3. willclarkgameface - Sep 3, 2012 at 11:02 AM

The Kung Fu Panda looks to have consumed too much Panda Express and will not be able to bend over to field grounders any longer.

Every time I try to explain to people why baseball is great they say, “What about Pablo Sandoval?”

You got me on that one, sir.

4. charlutes - Sep 3, 2012 at 11:11 AM

Craig, apparently the Adonis rips panda for being out of shape? Panda would Kung foo your face, clown.

• kiwicricket - Sep 3, 2012 at 12:54 PM

If the guy sitting in his underwear writing the blog post is in better shape than the professional athlete, I think he can say whatever the hell he wants.

5. manchestermiracle - Sep 3, 2012 at 11:17 AM

How weak is the NL west if the fat, juiced Giants can lead it?

• lindaswayner - Sep 4, 2012 at 3:34 PM

You’re obviously an idiot. We’d be right in the race in ANY division. Need I remind you that wild card teams win the WS regularly?

6. papalurchdxb - Sep 3, 2012 at 12:04 PM

ok, who’s foolish enough to put money on the Panda being an early entrant on the BSOHL roster come Spring Training? Anyone?!

• kiwicricket - Sep 3, 2012 at 12:56 PM

I am actually curious to find out who is leading the BSOHL MVP and Cy Young awards race?

7. hushbrother - Sep 3, 2012 at 12:05 PM

Someone should remind him it’s easier to pull in some tail when you’re in shape, and you don’t have to resort to sexually assaulting the ladies.

• kiwicricket - Sep 3, 2012 at 12:58 PM

Yep. Stay classy there fella….

8. kevinbnyc - Sep 3, 2012 at 12:15 PM

It’s amazing this could be such an issue for a professional athlete.

9. Ben - Sep 3, 2012 at 12:15 PM

So why can’t he keep wait off? He’s not sedentary, obviously, so is it just psychological? The way he deals with stress? Maybe he and Timmy could smoke a bowl to relax? But then I suppose he’d just get the munchies.

• Ben - Sep 3, 2012 at 12:16 PM

Christ, weight. Wow.

• nogoodtomedead - Sep 3, 2012 at 1:19 PM

Thank god you got that one in there- I thought for a minute there was going to be a Giants post without the really, really, old, over-used obligatory Timmy smoking weed reference. Whew!! Just barely dodged some originality!

10. Walk - Sep 3, 2012 at 3:30 PM

I had issues with my weight as well but it started for me right at my 30’s. I spent eight years hovering around 240ish which is about 50 lbs over what the army wanted me at. I went to see a dietician several times during that stretch. I ended up having to change my diet several times until i got it matched with my physical activity level. We ran 10k twice a week and i did it three times more on my own. As long as i held a steady pt regimen my diet was fine, but if my physical activity fluctuated because i was tired i had to cut back hard on my diet, that was the hardest thing for me to learn, tailoring mny diet to my activity. I look at a baseball season and it looks a lot like what one would go through if they had days of inactivity followed by sporadic hard exercise. Pablo sandoval’s sundae comes to mind. That big kung fu sundae reminds me every guy i ever knew in the military when we came back from the field. As soon as we were released the guys cut out for their favorite restraunts. For most it was usually a double or triple burger but a lot hit the desserts like pablo did too. Tldr If pablo keeps trying he will get his weight under control but he does need a bit of support to be able to do it and it is not an overnight issue.

• simonfoster231171 - Sep 4, 2012 at 6:02 AM

I used to weigh about 175. Last season, I played 17 games – 15 of them with lower body injuries because my legs weren’t used to the weight. Lost 20 lbs in 6 weeks and managed to play 33 games – none of them with injury. Over a long time, the excess weight combined with the impact of running will affect Sandoval’s knees and he’ll end up with multiple reconstructions because he doesn’t have the damn self-discipline to stay off the sweet stuff.

• lindaswayner - Sep 4, 2012 at 3:38 PM

Great to see someone with some sense. Joking is fun, but as Giants fans we need to support him. If it goes too far theams mgmt will have to make the decision to trade the guy. Untin then, GO GIANTS AND GO PANDA!!

11. Steve Miller - Sep 3, 2012 at 5:39 PM

He’s a Giant and we are Giants fans…..let’s just support him by letting him know that we are with him…..jeesh.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (4862)
  2. M. Kemp (3444)
  3. J. Upton (2527)
  4. J. Kang (2495)
  5. W. Middlebrooks (2472)
  1. C. McGehee (2451)