Sep 3, 2012, 5:02 PM EST
The Yankees haven’t been in first place all season. As late as June 10 they were a half game back. But starting then they began to build a lead. By July 18 it was a ten game lead. Since July 18 it has been whittled down to a single game.
The Orioles, fresh off taking two of three from New York, beat the Blue Jays in convincing fashion today, shutting them out behind a strong outing from Joe Saunders. Meanwhile, down in Tampa, the Yankess lost 4-3 despite having their ace on the hill.
New York has a couple more against Tampa Bay — themselves only two and a half out — then a four game series against the Orioles. Oh, and then three more against the Rays after a quick trip to Boston. Oh, and Robinson Cano is hurting too, having done something bad to his hip in this game, which will most likely cause him to miss tomorrow’s.
Are they going to escape this stretch alive?
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 19
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 62
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 48
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 37
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)