Sep 3, 2012, 5:02 PM EDT
The Yankees haven’t been in first place all season. As late as June 10 they were a half game back. But starting then they began to build a lead. By July 18 it was a ten game lead. Since July 18 it has been whittled down to a single game.
The Orioles, fresh off taking two of three from New York, beat the Blue Jays in convincing fashion today, shutting them out behind a strong outing from Joe Saunders. Meanwhile, down in Tampa, the Yankess lost 4-3 despite having their ace on the hill.
New York has a couple more against Tampa Bay — themselves only two and a half out — then a four game series against the Orioles. Oh, and then three more against the Rays after a quick trip to Boston. Oh, and Robinson Cano is hurting too, having done something bad to his hip in this game, which will most likely cause him to miss tomorrow’s.
Are they going to escape this stretch alive?
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 7
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 31
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 5
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 21
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 15
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (131)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)