Sep 4, 2012, 2:30 PM EST
I thought it was pretty nifty that Kevin Goldstein got hired by the Astros last week. The woman who runs The Astros Dugout is not so hot on the idea, however:
In the news – Luhnow has hired Steven Goldstein, who is a BLOGGER. Yes friends and neighbors and 2 dozen remaining Astros fans, you read that right. He first worked for Baseball America talkin bout prospects, then moved to Baseball Prospectus, doing the same thing. He has been given the job as head of pro scouting – meaning, I guess, that the Astros want the same dishy stuff on other teams prospects that he’s been writing up for BPro. All my statty friends are all agog. We’re like Billy Beane 10 years later, I guess, only without Hudson, Mulder and Zito.
1. Maybe she actually likes that Kevin Goldstein was hired but is really concerned about this “Steven Goldstein” character. I would be too. Sounds kinda sketchy to me.
2. Probably worth noting that unless I’m missing something, Kevin Goldstein was never a blogger. He’s an analyst, a scouting news dude, constant tweeter and a writer of longer form pieces. He’s also a podcaster. But I’ve never known him to blog. Which, pet peeve of mine: not everyone who writes on the internet is a blogger. Only people who blog are bloggers. It’s sorta like how people who climb mountains aren’t skiers, just because they happen to be on the same object. Verbs and nouns matter!
3. I realize it’s hard to be a fan of a team that has had as much recent success as the Astros have, only to see them trying new things. How scary it must be that the legacy of Ed Wade and all he created in Houston over the past couple of seasons is being cast aside!
At any rate, I do legitimately fear that Goldstein will be absolutely insufferable down in the bar at the winter meetings if he helps turn the Astros into a World Series champ in the next few seasons — just a feeling I have about that guy — but it’s something I’d personally be willing to risk if I was an Astros fan.
- Grant Balfour may file a grievance over Orioles’ decision to back out of contract 22
- Former Major Leaguer Gabe Kapler wants collisions to remain part of the game 34
- Carlos Beltran introduced by the Yankees, takes a shot at the Mets 35
- The Grant Balfour-Orioles deal is dead 25
- Kevin Youkilis is going to play in Japan 32
- Hall of Fame voting expert: Greg Maddux makes it. No one else does. (105)
- I don’t know what the best baseball song is, but it ain’t John freakin’ Fogerty (101)
- Happy Birthday, Ty Cobb! (89)
- ‘Tis the season for people acting incredibly dumb (74)
- The Yankees agree to a one-year, $2 million deal with Brian Roberts (74)