Astros blogger doesn’t like that non-blogger is hired because he’s “A BLOGGER”

Sep 4, 2012, 2:30 PM EDT

astros logo wide

I thought it was pretty nifty that Kevin Goldstein got hired by the Astros last week. The woman who runs The Astros Dugout is not so hot on the idea, however:

In the news – Luhnow has hired Steven Goldstein, who is a BLOGGER. Yes friends and neighbors and 2 dozen remaining Astros fans, you read that right. He first worked for Baseball America talkin bout prospects, then moved to Baseball Prospectus, doing the same thing. He has been given the job as head of pro scouting – meaning, I guess, that the Astros want the same dishy stuff on other teams prospects that he’s been writing up for BPro. All my statty friends are all agog. We’re like Billy Beane 10 years later, I guess, only without Hudson, Mulder and Zito.

1. Maybe she actually likes that Kevin Goldstein was hired but is really concerned about this “Steven Goldstein” character. I would be too. Sounds kinda sketchy to me.

2. Probably worth noting that unless I’m missing something, Kevin Goldstein was never a blogger. He’s an analyst, a scouting news dude, constant tweeter and a writer of longer form pieces. He’s also a podcaster. But I’ve never known him to blog. Which, pet peeve of mine: not everyone who writes on the internet is a blogger. Only people who blog are bloggers. It’s sorta like how people who climb mountains aren’t skiers, just because they happen to be on the same object. Verbs and nouns matter!

3. I realize it’s hard to be a fan of a team that has had as much recent success as the Astros have, only to see them trying new things.  How scary it must be that the legacy of Ed Wade and all he created in Houston over the past couple of seasons is being cast aside!

At any rate, I do legitimately fear that Goldstein will be absolutely insufferable down in the bar at the winter meetings if he helps turn the Astros into a World Series champ in the next few seasons — just a feeling I have about that guy — but it’s something I’d personally be willing to risk if I was an Astros fan.

1. alexb64 - Sep 4, 2012 at 2:38 PM

Try reading just a few paragraphs without wanting to drink heavily. I’m willing to bet whoever runs that blog is one of the few people who were actually so bad that Bleacher Report got rid of them during their minor purge a couple years back.

2. stex52 - Sep 4, 2012 at 2:39 PM

I have no problems with the fact he is a “blogger” (What is this, the ’50′s? Do we still hold a person’s ethnicity against them?)

However, I’m not so sure what their plans are. It seems to me like they fired Tal Smith and Bobby Heck and they hired in about six suits with fancy titles to do the same two jobs. I worked for a major corporation for 30+ years. Behavior like that always makes me highly suspicious.

• stex52 - Sep 4, 2012 at 3:56 PM

By the way, if he happens to help the Astros win a World Series in the next few years, he can stop by my house for a free drink. He can be insufferable as he wants, and I will only give him the good Scotch. Just so he doesn’t kick the dog or hit on my wife. Hell, I’ll invite Luhnow and all of his buddies.

3. cur68 - Sep 4, 2012 at 2:41 PM

I’m kinda vague on who’s a what on the interwebz. Bloggists and newsists are owl fleas to me: can’ t tell one from t’other and the ‘experts’ can argue for years over the differences. Personally I see the whole piece by Astros Dugout Guy as little more than flat out jealousy that he didn’t get the gig since he’s bloggier than “Steven”.

• CJ - Sep 4, 2012 at 2:58 PM

thank you for introducing “bloggier” into our vernacular. Now we’ll have people whipping out their blogs in public, comparing sizes and whatnot. That’s exactly what my life isn’t missing

4. keithbangedyermom - Sep 4, 2012 at 3:01 PM

I still don’t know what qualifies Goldstein to do that job. If its just organizing and coordinating the scouting dept, I get it. But he’s not a scout, so if it involves overseeing scouting efforts, I don’t get it at all.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Sep 4, 2012 at 3:15 PM

So let me understand this. You aren’t sure if a guy who worked for Baseball America (covers the minors) and then for Baseball Prospectus as their prospect guru, is qualified to be a scout/run a scouting department?

Well who would be qualified?

5. salvomania - Sep 4, 2012 at 3:09 PM

Well, he may not be a scout, he sure seems to do a lot of the things that scouts do….

• paperlions - Sep 4, 2012 at 3:17 PM

Yeah, I’m pretty sure that if you do what scouts do, you are a scout.

Mama always says, “Scout is as scout does.”

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Sep 4, 2012 at 3:20 PM

[Scout] stand up. Your father’s passing.

6. woodenulykteneau - Sep 4, 2012 at 3:37 PM

“I do legitimately fear that Goldstein will be absolutely insufferable down in the bar at the winter meetings if he helps turn the Astros into a World Series champ in the next few seasons — just a feeling I have about that guy.”

Well, it’s not like he was insufferable to begin with, right?

7. ptfu - Sep 4, 2012 at 3:38 PM

She’s criticizing Goldstein for analyzing other teams’ prospects and then writing up his thoughts?

That seems like a skill the Astros could really use, if they ever decide to, say, trade for other teams’ prospects. Does she not want the Astros’ head of pro scouting to know who to trade for, and to communicate that clearly within the organization?

Now, if she doubts the quality of Goldstein’s analysis, that’s one thing. But criticizing Goldstein for doing analysis at all, and then communicating it, is plain dumb.

8. deafrecon - Sep 4, 2012 at 3:42 PM

she seems offended that she wasn’t also hired as a blogger. she needs to http://goo.gl/z2wDe .

9. sportsdrenched - Sep 4, 2012 at 4:40 PM

Well you know, these days any idiot with $20 can buy a domain name and start a blog. Don’t know anyone like that though.

Anyway, Guess I haven’t been spending enough time on the internet because this is the first I heard about Goldstein being hired by the Astros front office. I think this is awesome. After reading his tweets and analysis second guessing and opining what he would do if he were in a front office….it’s time to see what those ideas will do in reality. Go for it Astros & Goldstein, at least it’s not that same stuff thats been tried before and failed.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (4929)