Sep 4, 2012, 9:13 AM EDT
“For whatever reason, owner John Henry and GM Ben Cherington chose not to fire Valentine on Monday …”
That quote, from the never quick-to-call-for-the-axe Ken Rosenthal, pretty much sums up your early morning long form reading. Here’s Rosenthal’s take on what the Red Sox should do — re-hire Terry Francona! — and here’s Jeff Passan’s take on why Bobby Valentine was such a dumbass hire to begin with and a look at just how bad it’s gotten in the Red Sox clubhouse.
Rosenthal’s idea is a fun one, even if he himself admits that it’ll never happen. No, for the Red Sox to re-hire Francona John Henry and Larry Lucchino would have to admit that they made a gigantic blunder. And Francona would have to set aside what is likely still considerable anger over just how forcefully he was thrown under the bus last fall. This despite the fact that, yeah, Francona is still the best guy for that job.
You have to figure, though, that Valentine is gone the day after the season ends regardless. And the question Rosenthal asks — who replaces him — is a pretty darn good one, with no good answers available.
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 14
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 23
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 64
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 34
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (202)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)