Criminal profiler Carlos Beltran comments on Andres Torres missing first base

Sep 4, 2012, 11:33 AM EDT

Andres Torres

I’ve watched the Andres-Torres-missing-first-base-on-his-double play from yesterday’s Mets-Cardinals game several times now. I won’t go to the mattresses over it because I will acknowledge that it was close, but I’m still convinced that he touched first base because it looks like his foot was half on and half off something as he rounded.

Carlos Beltran, however, is more convinced that Torres didn’t touch first based on his reaction. From Derek Goold’s story in the Post-Dispatch:

“If you touch the base right there and you get called out, myself, I would get thrown out of the game (arguing) if I touched that base. He didn’t really react to it. So, I guess he didn’t touch it.”

Reminds me of that bit in “Homicide: A Year on the Killing Steets” when the detective tells David Simon that you know you have your murderer when he goes to sleep in his cell or in the interview room. He’s finally relaxed and not worried because he knows the jig is up.

Yep, just like that.

1. skeleteeth - Sep 4, 2012 at 11:37 AM

Or in Usual Suspects when Chazz Palminteri uses the same line.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Sep 4, 2012 at 11:41 AM

Was just about to say that, considering I’m watching the movie right now.

• Old Gator - Sep 4, 2012 at 12:08 PM

Or in the opening of The Lives of Others where the Stasi captain is giving his “how to break down a suspect” lecture to his class on interrogation techniques.

TUS was on cable last night. Watched it for maybe the twentieth time. Dammit, is Kevin Spacey incredible or what?

• stex52 - Sep 4, 2012 at 2:45 PM

Lives of Others was a great flick, too. Wouldn’t want to mess too much with the TUS vibe because I loved that one. But both are worth multiple sittings.

2. Nick C - Sep 4, 2012 at 11:50 AM

I think the only thing clear about the play is that the ump was the only one in position to see it. None of the replays show anything from the ump’s angle.

3. sabatimus - Sep 4, 2012 at 12:38 PM

I don’t see a story here. Beltran thought he didn’t touch the bag and told people about it. So what?

• fearlessleader - Sep 4, 2012 at 12:51 PM

Agreed. And the guys on MLBN’s “Quick Pitch” last night made exactly the same argument (that Torres didn’t argue the call, which—to them—probably meant he knew he’d missed the bag), so if Beltran gets mocked for being a profiler, they should too.

• clydeserra - Sep 4, 2012 at 3:09 PM

OK. I mock them. Done.

People react differently. I don’t jump up and down when people do things wrong. Mostly because I am not 2. Maybe Andres torres is the same.

also, a story is what it is. Everything is a story. I wish people would stop typing the criticism “this isn’t a story.” The internet is a big place, don’t read what doesn’t interest you.

4. natslady - Sep 4, 2012 at 12:47 PM

So I read the story. It contained this line:

Crew chief Dale Scott said the umpires looked at replay and confirmed the call.

I thought replay only applied to home run calls. Is it sneaking in? `

• paperlions - Sep 4, 2012 at 1:29 PM

I bet most umpires look at close/contested calls on video after the game all the time because the really want to know if they were right or not (and they may get insights into how to more accurately make such calls in real time in the future by inspecting video of such close calls). There are a few umpires that seem to be uninterested in whether the got the call right or not…but I bet even those guys *cough*joewest*cough* look at video to see if they got it right.

• natslady - Sep 4, 2012 at 2:00 PM

You are probably right, he meant the umps looked at replay after the game to confirm the call. It’s still curious, however. Because if Scott’s comment was made after the game, then I would wonder when did umps start defending their calls to the press?

• paperlions - Sep 4, 2012 at 2:10 PM

From time to time, an ump will come out and talk about a call…it isn’t common, and they are not required to do so….but some guys do it because they feel they owe an explanation or because they have something to add to the conversation….weird, huh?

5. maynardstool - Sep 4, 2012 at 12:50 PM

The horse is quite dead now Craig. Let it go already. You’re starting to sound pathetic.

It’s not the Cards’ fault your Braves choked last year. You and Matthew seem to harbor an unhealthy amount of hatred towards the birds on the bats.

• stlouis1baseball - Sep 4, 2012 at 1:11 PM

Maynard: Prepare yourself for the onslaught of Calcaterra fan boys.
      After all, everything the Man writes is on point, well thought out, accurate and without the least bit of bias. Simply put…he has NO agenda! ***

• mrfloydpink - Sep 4, 2012 at 2:33 PM

If you dislike the blog/author so much, why do you keep reading?

• stlouis1baseball - Sep 4, 2012 at 5:09 PM

“If you dislike the blog/author so much, why do you keep reading?”

Who said anything about disliking the blog and/or author?
        I think (all-in-all) he is a fine writer. I am just not in love with him.
        I actually like it when people keep him in check.
        The whole “Craig can do no wrong so I am going to continually slow jack him” mindset does nothing positive (w/ the exception of “stroking” his ego perhaps).
        But again…all-in-all…I think he is a fine writer.
        Try not to stalk me so much Pink. It isn’t healthy.

6. maynardstool - Sep 4, 2012 at 1:14 PM

Oh I know. It’s comical really.

7. sisqsage - Sep 4, 2012 at 2:21 PM

Beltran’s no dummy. He saw the ump giving it an extra look after Torres headed to second and told his team to appeal and got the call.
    Why not try it? You have nothing to lose. We all know how much the umps these days never miss a chance to be pricks.
    As per Torres, why even leave it up to chance? Touch the bag in such a way that there’s no doubt. Mets fans have learned something we already knew about Torres: he is kind of a dummy.

8. exibitsman - Sep 4, 2012 at 2:48 PM

This beltran is a punk always starting trouble.

9. mophatici - Sep 4, 2012 at 9:37 PM

Great reference to an extraordinary book, which spawned two of the best tv shows ever. The Wire and Homicide are the best criminal investigative shows ever. And the rest aren’t even close.

• pepefreeus - Sep 5, 2012 at 5:16 AM

Wise words.

I say we put Beltran in The Box and let Frank Pembleton sweat him for a while. Just on general principle.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (3083)