David Wright is “extremely optimistic” about signing a contract extension with the Mets

Sep 4, 2012, 3:30 PM EDT

David Wright

David Wright wants to be a Met for the rest of his career and thinks it’s going to happen. Jon Heyman reports:

Speaking of his chances to remain a Met long-term, Wright doesn’t even give a nod to the negotiating thing most of them do.

“I’m extremely optimistic,” he said. “I’ve really enjoyed it here … There’s not a single complaint that I have,” Wright said. “(The Mets) drafted me as a kid. They developed me. They’ve given me an opportunity to make a living playing a game. There’s a tremendous amount of mutual respect. They’ve gone above and beyond.”

Wright is hitting .311/.402/.501 with 17 homers and 79 RBI while playing a spiffy third base. I can’t see any reason why the Mets wouldn’t want him back and wouldn’t pay what the man deserves to make it happen.

1. styx630 - Sep 4, 2012 at 3:47 PM

Get it done, Mets.

2. escapingexile - Sep 4, 2012 at 3:55 PM

7 years 150 million. 10 million up front, the other 140 broken up as 7 per year for the next 20 years. C’mon David, ask Bonilla, it’s a sweet deal.

3. dannyocean83 - Sep 4, 2012 at 3:57 PM

Look at his facial expression.

• Gamera the Brave - Sep 4, 2012 at 4:16 PM

Looks like Jerry Seinfeld…

4. arrooo - Sep 4, 2012 at 4:23 PM

If the Wilpons won’t invest in the rest of the team, David should run. The Wilpons are a cancer

5. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Sep 4, 2012 at 4:26 PM

He deserves the deal for that face alone. His WAR should go up as he makes runners going to first base giggle, and thus get distracted.

6. Old Gator - Sep 4, 2012 at 5:29 PM

Sounds like he’s been reading my spam. How many inches longer will this extension make his contract?

7. buffalomafia - Sep 4, 2012 at 6:00 PM

Why stay with the Mets? They stink! Play on a team that has a shot for playoffs?

Either trade Wright to Yanks for A-Rod or go to the Braves?

8. dalucks - Sep 4, 2012 at 6:08 PM

With the young, impressive pitching in the minors along with Dickey, if Lucas Duda, Mike Baxter and Kirk Neuwinheis can become solid hitters like Ike Davis then the Mets have some nice pieces to build around David Wright. Maybe the Mets can trade Jason Bay for a couple of decent prospects next season to continue to stockpile the farm system. Especially if they are pitchers who can come out of the bullpen.

• Alex K - Sep 4, 2012 at 7:59 PM

You really think that the Mets could get anything for Jason Bay? Wow. He can’t stay healthy and he hasn’t been very productive the little amount of time he’s been on the field. I don’t think anyone would give much of anything to get Bay.

9. jon623 - Sep 4, 2012 at 8:21 PM

What a class act. I really admire a player being loyal to a team even though the team hasn’t been all that succesful. Good for you, Wright. That’s good stuff.

You know what else is good stuff? That picture. Genuinely fantastic. Haha.

10. kevinbnyc - Sep 5, 2012 at 2:18 AM

I’m still laughing at Ike Davis being referred to as a good hitter

11. db105 - Sep 5, 2012 at 5:27 AM

Future Dodger third baseman.

Colby-on-Colby crime in Toronto