Delino DeShields Jr. stole 101 bases in the minors this year

Sep 4, 2012, 2:44 PM EDT

Astros DeShields Baseball

It hasn’t gotten any attention because of Billy Hamilton’s record-breaking stolen base numbers, but a second prospect cracked triple-digit steals in the minors this season.

Delino DeShields Jr., whose father played 13 seasons in the majors and was once traded straight-up for Pedro Martinez, stole 101 bases in 135 games between two levels of Single-A in the Astros’ farm system.

Like his dad, DeShields Jr. is a second baseman with very good on-base skills and amazing speed, and in addition to all the running the No. 8 overall pick in the 2010 draft hit .287 with a .387 on-base percentage at age 19.

Hamilton broke the all-time minor league record by stealing 155 bases in 132 games and was thrown out 37 times for a success rate of 80.7 percent.  By comparison DeShields stole 101 bases and was thrown out 19 times for a success rate of 84.2 percent.

1. stex52 - Sep 4, 2012 at 2:49 PM

How about all of this Astros love on HBT? You’d think they were a relative with a terminal illness.

But Delinos’ just like most of their other prospects. He is three years away from helping, if he makes it.

2. cur68 - Sep 4, 2012 at 2:51 PM

Its just great seeing that name mentioned in baseball again. His old man was among my favourite Expos. I feel old, though. I always thought of Delino DeShields as a kid, even when I was kid. Now his kid is going to be in MLB. Damn, I’m old.

• yankeesgameday - Sep 4, 2012 at 3:00 PM

Favourite spelled with an “ou”. What’s that aboot?

• cur68 - Sep 4, 2012 at 3:07 PM

Descendre de ma pelouse.

• vallewho - Sep 4, 2012 at 6:44 PM

what about menopause ?

• stex52 - Sep 4, 2012 at 3:09 PM

Spell it like a British subject. Don’t let all those crazy ex-colonists stop you. I still spell the word “grey” because I grew up seeing it that way in books.

But otherwise, “We hope his kid is going to be in the MLB.” No certainty yet. The original rap was that he was a little out of control in his approach to the game. If he has mastered that, he is by all accounts a marvelous athlete.

• cur68 - Sep 4, 2012 at 3:14 PM

Well “grey” IS spelled “grey”, so you sir are correct. There simply isn’t any other way to spell it unless one is an out-and-out barbarian. Still, no matter what, Delino DeShields Jr. better stay the hell off my lawn. And his old man, too. Dang kids.

• stex52 - Sep 4, 2012 at 3:25 PM

And I wanted to compliment you on a new take on an old phrase around here. My French isn’t the best (ask the waitresses in Montreal). I struggled at first, thinking of using “sortir” instead of “descendre.”

• cur68 - Sep 4, 2012 at 3:56 PM

Yeah, that was a sticky one. The injunction “get off” is what you have to work with. If you go with just “get” you wind up with the french word “obtain” (obtenez). “Sortir” (to leave) is actually better than “get”. However, using “get off”, the whole sentiment, brings one quite logically to “descendre” or “climb down from” (or “to go down”). The trouble with French as a language is that is too dang polite. In no way would I clench my pipe in my teeth, level my Mossberg 500, and say “climb down off of my lawn”. I’d use a lot crazier language than that. Bat-shit crazy language. In fact, its pretty certain that the word “mo-fo” in all its glory might be used, too. I get all old school when people are trampling my lawn.

• frenchysplatediscipline - Sep 4, 2012 at 3:24 PM

Holy crap cur, you ain’t kiddin. I can still the the Rated Rookie on DeShield’s Donruss rookie card in my mind.

Speaking of which, the Batting Stance Guy was in IT the other day and he was wearing a T-shirt with the that old Rated Rookie stamp on it.

It was awesome!

• lookinghitterish - Sep 4, 2012 at 5:21 PM

Same here, feeling-old-wise. I was a kid when he was a kid (we played on rival high school teams as kids, even), and now that he has a kid who’s old enough to have kids… yeesh.

3. thefalcon123 - Sep 4, 2012 at 3:07 PM

“Delino DeShields Jr., whose father played 13 seasons in the majors and was once traded straight-up for Pedro Martinez,”

In all fairness, Martinez was much too small to be a starting pitcher. I think history proved Tommy LaSorda right on that one!

4. manchestermiracle - Sep 5, 2012 at 10:01 AM

Delino DeShields straight up for Pedro Martinez, one of the worst trades the Dodgers ever made. Nothing DeShields ever did in Montreal translated to West Coast success. Mike Piazza and Paul Konerko come to mind, but DeShields/Martinez might just be the worst. Forcing Mike Scioscia out of the organization? That’s another subject, but an equally horrible move. And did you know they passed on Vladimir Guerrero? Twice?

Ace-killer Giants do it again