Sep 4, 2012, 4:46 PM EDT
Bonifacio also missed time earlier this year with a sprained thumb, so he finishes the season with just 64 games after playing a career-high 152 games in 2011. He also regressed offensively, hitting .258 with a .645 OPS after batting .296 with a .753 OPS last year, although Bonifacio did steal 30 bases while being caught only three times.
In his absence Justin Ruggiano and Gorkys Hernandez are splitting time as the Marlins’ center fielder, and Ruggiano at least has emerged as a value player by hitting .326 with 13 homers and a .972 OPS in 75 games at age 30.
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 8
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 4
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 14
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 21
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 62
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 49
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (131)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)