Sep 4, 2012, 4:46 PM EDT
Bonifacio also missed time earlier this year with a sprained thumb, so he finishes the season with just 64 games after playing a career-high 152 games in 2011. He also regressed offensively, hitting .258 with a .645 OPS after batting .296 with a .753 OPS last year, although Bonifacio did steal 30 bases while being caught only three times.
In his absence Justin Ruggiano and Gorkys Hernandez are splitting time as the Marlins’ center fielder, and Ruggiano at least has emerged as a value player by hitting .326 with 13 homers and a .972 OPS in 75 games at age 30.
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 88
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 15
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 35
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 40
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 350
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (350)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (189)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (161)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)