Sep 4, 2012, 3:15 PM EDT
Normally teams wouldn’t activate a player and then not play him because it would require sending someone else to the minors, but with rosters expanding on September 1 the Reds have more than 25 guys to use anyway.
Votto was having an MVP-caliber season before the injury, hitting .342 with 14 homers, 36 doubles, and a 1.069 OPS in 86 games. In his absence Todd Frazier has had a huge impact as the Reds’ primary first baseman, batting .292 with 18 homers and an .887 OPS in 109 games, which means manager Dusty Baker will have some tough lineup decisions on his hands assuming Votto is ready to go tomorrow.
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 12
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 75
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 12
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 46
- 2015 Preview: New York Yankees 63
- 2015 Preview: Cleveland Indians 10
- Dodgers sign Cuban star Hector Olivera for $62.5 million 55
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (99)
- Joe West ejects A.J. Pierzynski by calmly telling the Braves’ dugout “you need a new catcher.” (97)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (75)