Sep 4, 2012, 10:30 AM EDT
We’ve had mammo fun with Chipper Jones’ nearly incomprehensible Twitter feed. Today Chris Jones of ESPN the Magazine dives deeper into one of the more unexpected developments of the season:
In hindsight, his first tweet — “Yes, the ol man finally got the twitta!” — was a sign of the weirdness that was to come. The first whispers started: Is Chipper Jones illiterate? Did he get beaned last night? Every night, Jones made Twitter part of his rigid routine, and every morning, a growing band of linguists tried to translate. (There isn’t a name yet for his language. I’d like to nominate Chipperish — Chipper plus English. Also, it rhymes with gibberish.)
Not gonna lie. I’m kind of worried that once Jones retires and doesn’t have anything serious like actual baseball games to reign him in that he’s going to go full-Busey on us.
- Blue Jays fan throws beer at Nate McLouth (122)
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (116)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (81)
- Pacers even series with Heat
- Penguins bounce Senators | Highlights
- MST: Rosberg wins pole in Monaco | Highlights
- Tennis.com: Can anyone stop Serena at French?
- Tennis.com: Is French still Nadal's to lose?
- Tigers' Sanchez loses no-hitter in 9th vs. Twins
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy