Looking at Chipperish

Sep 4, 2012, 10:30 AM EDT

Chipper Jones AP

We’ve had mammo fun with Chipper Jones’ nearly incomprehensible Twitter feed. Today Chris Jones of ESPN the Magazine dives deeper into one of the more unexpected developments of the season:

In hindsight, his first tweet — “Yes, the ol man finally got the twitta!” — was a sign of the weirdness that was to come. The first whispers started: Is Chipper Jones illiterate? Did he get beaned last night? Every night, Jones made Twitter part of his rigid routine, and every morning, a growing band of linguists tried to translate. (There isn’t a name yet for his language. I’d like to nominate Chipperish — Chipper plus English. Also, it rhymes with gibberish.)

Not gonna lie. I’m kind of worried that once Jones retires and doesn’t have anything serious like actual baseball games to reign him in that he’s going to go full-Busey on us.

1. Gobias Industries - Sep 4, 2012 at 10:43 AM

If I had any photoshopping skills, I’d go to town on that picture.

• cur68 - Sep 4, 2012 at 10:45 AM

Seriously. Looks like he’s belching the alphabet.

• mattyflex - Sep 4, 2012 at 10:48 AM

Or s’ing the D.

• cur68 - Sep 4, 2012 at 11:09 AM

Well mattyflex, I’m not sure what “s’ing the D” means in this context. Nothing that suits a grown man with teeth bared and a large fist driving upwards springs readily to my mind.

The way my mind works is I see a guy after about 6 or 8 beers, having a whale of a season, wearing about $500 worth of sunglasses, showin’ the younguns how many letters of the “al-pheee-bet” he knows after having just gone mammo (again).

Now I try not to judge other people’s preferences. None of us can help the way we were born, so whatever. BUT you should be aware that things like this are a bit of a Rorschach test: whatever your preferences are will be reflected in your interpretation of an ambiguous image. So, while I stay away from judging others, you might wanna play those cards a bit closer to the ole chest, eh? Not all the people who comment on here are so circumspect.

• mattyflex - Sep 4, 2012 at 12:22 PM

It’s not an inkblot test, ass, it’s a picture of a guy with a fist near his face and his mouth open. If you look at it and see: “(1) a guy, (2) after ABOUT 6 or 8 beers, (3) having a whale of a season, (4) wearing about $500 worth of sunglasses, (5) showing younguns letters, (6) after having gone mammo”, you’re an overanalyzing dickhead.

• cur68 - Sep 4, 2012 at 12:29 PM

Dude. I don’t judge. I just see something very different that you. Whatever. Just saying you should be a bit more discreet is all. Feel free to ignore my advice: it is, after all, unsolicited. And please, no need to fixate on my ass. I know its squeezabilaty is off-the-charts good and all, but hands off.

2. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Sep 4, 2012 at 10:48 AM

He is a grown man who prefers to be called ‘Chipper.’ Twitter was not the first indication that there are some crayons missing from this particular box.

• plmathfoto - Sep 4, 2012 at 10:54 AM

Don’t forget that fans mock him by chanting Larry, he’s said many times he hates that name. So what did he name his kid? One guess…Larry

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Sep 4, 2012 at 11:09 AM

and Shea, the former home of those mocking fans

3. lazlosother - Sep 4, 2012 at 10:49 AM

If his HOF plaque doesn’t have “Mammo” and “Yickety” on it somwhere, my life will be lacking something.

• hittfamily - Sep 4, 2012 at 4:04 PM

he’s not a hall of famer

• mississippimusicman - Sep 4, 2012 at 4:22 PM

Straight trolling, son.

4. GoneYickitty - Sep 4, 2012 at 1:04 PM

Would have been hard to imagine six months ago that he would provide this much entertainment both on and off the field in his last season. It’s been a lot of fun to watch a 40 year old guy go out on such a high note.

5. Chris Fiorentino - Sep 4, 2012 at 1:51 PM

Too bad he didn’t have a feed in September of last year while his team was choking away the wild card lead.

• pepefreeus - Sep 5, 2012 at 5:20 AM