Sep 4, 2012, 11:00 AM EDT
Why is he still an everyday player? Here’s Ron Washington:
“Intangibles,” Washington said. “He leads even when things are not right [for him personally]. That’s what leaders do. If you didn’t look at his numbers, you wouldn’t know Michael Young is struggling.”
Washington goes on to say that Young busts his butt and cheers on his teammates despite the lack of production. Which is something no one has ever denied about him. Indeed, after trafficking in just as much Michael Young hate as anyone out there, I recently made the effort to actually talk to a former teammate of his to get to the heart of the Young-love. To see what we on the outside were missing. And the player I spoke to went on at length about how much his teammates love and appreciate him and how they are all willing to overlook production blips in light of that.
But that’s his teammates. You would think, however, that the one guy who should not be putting all that much weight on the intangibles and the rah-rah is the team’s manager. He’s the one guy, it seems, who has to make the hard choices about who is actually productive and who is not. He should be the guy who plays bad cop when people who are not ultimately responsible for the team’s wins and losses like he is makes appeal to intangibles and chemistry.
And Ron Washington is not doing that.
- The Rockies “aren’t looking around very hard” for a trade of star shortstop Troy Tulowitzki 7
- Jury finds the Dodgers partially negligent, awards $18 million to Bryan Stow 36
- Masahiro Tanaka injured: Yankees ace to undergo an MRI exam on his right arm 60
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing 99
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 64
- Cardinals “looking for offense” … not Jake Peavy 31
- 2014 Home Run Derby participants … 28
- Billy Beane: The age of “baseball insiders” vs. “baseball outsiders” will soon be over 58
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (126)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (101)
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing (99)