Sep 4, 2012, 6:23 PM EST
How’s that for silliness? Miguel Cabrera was recognized Tuesday by the BBWAA as the American League’s Player of the Month for August, but he didn’t get the same honor from the Detroit chapter in the vote for Tigers’ Player of the Month.
Instead, Detroit writers picked Prince Fielder, and justifiably so. Here are the August stats for each:
Cabrera: .357/.429/.663, 8 HR, 24 RBI, 14/12 K/BB in 98 AB
Fielder: .370/.491/.663, 7 HR, 21 RBI, 10/19 K/BB in 92 AB
Personally, I tend to ignore all of the Player of the Month awards. I’ve never gotten the opinion that many of the voters take them seriously. In general, it seems they’re given a list of candidates and they pick the players with the most runs batted in and the pitchers with the most wins.
- Matt Kemp remains “in play” for the Red Sox 43
- Robinson Cano “didn’t want to play” for Joe Girardi 94
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran 121
- Mike Napoli agrees to two-year, $32 million deal with Red Sox 36
- Curtis Granderson leaves Yankees for Mets (and $60 million) 68
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (122)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (108)