Sep 4, 2012, 6:23 PM EDT
How’s that for silliness? Miguel Cabrera was recognized Tuesday by the BBWAA as the American League’s Player of the Month for August, but he didn’t get the same honor from the Detroit chapter in the vote for Tigers’ Player of the Month.
Instead, Detroit writers picked Prince Fielder, and justifiably so. Here are the August stats for each:
Cabrera: .357/.429/.663, 8 HR, 24 RBI, 14/12 K/BB in 98 AB
Fielder: .370/.491/.663, 7 HR, 21 RBI, 10/19 K/BB in 92 AB
Personally, I tend to ignore all of the Player of the Month awards. I’ve never gotten the opinion that many of the voters take them seriously. In general, it seems they’re given a list of candidates and they pick the players with the most runs batted in and the pitchers with the most wins.
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 0
- Update: Luis Avilan loses Aaron Harang’s no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 3
- Pirates acquire Ike Davis in a trade with the Mets 36
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 49
- VIDEO: The Yankees turned a triple play against the Rays 24
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)