Sep 4, 2012, 6:23 PM EDT
How’s that for silliness? Miguel Cabrera was recognized Tuesday by the BBWAA as the American League’s Player of the Month for August, but he didn’t get the same honor from the Detroit chapter in the vote for Tigers’ Player of the Month.
Instead, Detroit writers picked Prince Fielder, and justifiably so. Here are the August stats for each:
Cabrera: .357/.429/.663, 8 HR, 24 RBI, 14/12 K/BB in 98 AB
Fielder: .370/.491/.663, 7 HR, 21 RBI, 10/19 K/BB in 92 AB
Personally, I tend to ignore all of the Player of the Month awards. I’ve never gotten the opinion that many of the voters take them seriously. In general, it seems they’re given a list of candidates and they pick the players with the most runs batted in and the pitchers with the most wins.
- Wrigley Field — the most human park in baseball — turns 100-years-old 10
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 59
- Albert Pujols becomes 26th member of 500 home run club 41
- MLB suspends Martin Maldonado, Carlos Gomez, Travis Snider, and Russell Martin for Easter brawl 48
- “Respect the Game?” Phooey. 106