Nick Punto brings his jersey shredding to Los Angeles

Sep 4, 2012, 8:23 AM EDT

A.J. Ellis, Clayton Kershaw, Nick Punto

I vaguely remember hearing about Nick Punto literally tearing off his teammates’ jerseys as some sort of walkoff win ceremony when he was in Boston earlier this year, but I chalked it up to spicy food before midnight or something.  Now that I’m reading about it happening in L.A., however, I guess it’s a real thing:

Of the $262.5 million that Adrian GonzalezJosh BeckettCarl Crawford and Punto are owed after this season, Punto accounts for just $1.5 million of that total. His value to a team searching for chemistry, however, cannot be understated, especially during walk-off wins.

When Punto’s team wins in walk-off fashion, he reverts into his “Shredder” alter ego. He runs from the dugout like a sprinter out of the starter blocks, makes a beeline to whoever had the winning hit and proceeds to tear the player’s jersey off while the rest of his teammates jump into the fray.

He did it in St. Louis too:

“Last year, David Freese’s Game 6 jersey is in the Hall of Fame,” Punto said. “But it’s torn up in pieces.”

And now he’s done that the past couple of nights as the Dodgers have two walkoff wins in a row. AJ. Ellis was the most recent victim.

It’s like Punto sat around for two years trying to think of something dumber than hitting a teammate in the face with a pie or coming up with some silly hand gesture and then said “screw it, I’m just gonna assault my teammate.”  The only place we have to go from here are “Victory Face Punches” and “Rally Cup Checks.”

1. Victor's Secret - Sep 4, 2012 at 8:49 AM

Not sure why you’re ragging on Punto. His teammates seem to love him, and it’s not like he’s actually hurting anyone. He’s a backup infielder with seemingly no ego, and seems to be having a fantastic time playing baseball for a living. I feel like he’s the type of player to root for, not be dragged down to earth via mild internet snark…

• hammyofdoom - Sep 4, 2012 at 8:54 AM

Okay I like Punto as a guy, he seems cool and fun (like the picture of him on the plane, the other guys from Boston laughing at his stubby little oompa loompa arms), but as a baseball player I couldnt stand watching him. One more lazy pop fly to the opposite field and I was gonna hang myself

• 18thstreet - Sep 4, 2012 at 9:11 AM

I can imagine a scenario where it would be good to have a guy like that on the bench. What killed me, in Boston, was how often he was on the field.

The record will show, if anyone kept records of these types of things, that I gave up on the season when he batted leadoff in the third game of the year.

• rollinghighwayblues - Sep 4, 2012 at 10:42 AM

18th,

I gave up after Punto was repeatedly still in the lineup when he was due up in the 9th with a one-run deficit.

2. jagsfan11 - Sep 4, 2012 at 8:52 AM

Lol

3. kiwicricket - Sep 4, 2012 at 9:02 AM

I spent a couple years playing cricket in England. After my first game winning effort, I got pee’d on in the showers after the game.
    Sadly, never underestimate what can happen after a game.

• cur68 - Sep 4, 2012 at 11:16 AM

Dude. Gross. Play a different sport. The English are disgusting.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Sep 4, 2012 at 2:36 PM

R Kelly plays cricket?

4. ajcardsfan - Sep 4, 2012 at 9:06 AM

That photo looks like Ellis is saying, “Let me at ‘em, let me at’ em” in Three Stooges style

5. groundruledoublebourbon - Sep 4, 2012 at 9:10 AM

Yes, let us not understate how instrumental the man running from the dugout to disrobe a teammate was for the walkoff win….

6. tfbuckfutter - Sep 4, 2012 at 9:11 AM

I guess you gotta be known for something, and playing baseball certainly isn’t it for Nick Punto.

Personally I’d have gone for something a little less teenage-girl-at-a-Backstreet-Boy-concert, but whatever works for him.

7. mplsjoe - Sep 4, 2012 at 9:32 AM

The only way this could be more Nick Punto is if Punto slid head-first into the guy before ripping off her jersey.

Also, notice that Punto is never the guy who gets the walk-off hit.

• blues1988 - Sep 4, 2012 at 10:14 AM

actually he had a very crucial walk off hit (ok sac fly, same thing) in a very close comeback win against the braves last year in early September. it was the beginning of their collapse and the cardinals never looked back. no need to hate on punto for having a good time on the baseball field, if he’s not playing might as well do as much as he can to boost the morale of the team.

8. stlouis1baseball - Sep 4, 2012 at 11:19 AM

He’s a great teammate. When current and former teammates routinely praise someone (especially someone of Punto’s modest MLB talent)…you can bet your ass there is something to the whole chemistry, good teammate, high energy guy sorta’ thing. Every clubhouse needs one or two of them.

9. hisgirlgotburrelled - Sep 4, 2012 at 11:23 AM

“His value to a team searching for chemistry, however, cannot be understated, especially during walk-off wins.”

But the author certainly is overstating it. “We want Gonzalez. Oh, and we need Punto.” “You want Punto, too?!? No way… well, maybe, but you have to take Beckett.”… You all thought the Dodgers were trading for the best hitter in the game. Little did you know they were actually looking for team chemistry.

10. theotherfamousamos - Sep 4, 2012 at 11:32 AM

I can’t help wondering if this inane celebration technique is borne of the same idiocy that makes Punto insist that sliding into first base is a good idea. Um, sliding slows you down. It’s not a sign of hustle to any rational person.

11. barroomhero80 - Sep 4, 2012 at 11:53 AM

Another chump LA hating writer

• cur68 - Sep 4, 2012 at 12:09 PM

New here, eh? No worries. Hang around a bit (there’s bean dip in the corner, some only slightly stale corn chips next to it, never mind the cat hair in the salsa: adds some useful fiber to your diet) and pull up a beanbag chair. In due course he’ll get into baiting the Philly Phans, Yankee fans, and People Who Like Jeff Francoeur. Just a tip though: the answer is “Cake”. If anyone tells you “Pie” stick two fingers in their eyes and leg it for the rows of corn: you’ll be safe there.

• stlouis1baseball - Sep 4, 2012 at 12:57 PM

Hero: Cur is right on all accounts (with the exception of “cake” vs. “pie.”)
        I love pie. Let me qualify that…I love all pie NOT named “Ruhbarb.”
        Granted…I will eat cake. But give me a choice and pie wins everyday of the week.
        Let me clarify that as well. I will take pie over any cake that is not named “Ice Cream Cake.”
        Of course…I don’t know that Ice Cream Cake even qualifies as cake.
        Regardless…I am taking pie.
        I realize all (most) of my HBT friends will take cake over pie. But I refuse to conform.
        Phuq it…I will take BOTH. Just give me pie first.

• cur68 - Sep 4, 2012 at 2:46 PM

Pie Lover! UNCLEAN!!! UNCLEAN!!!!

12. pinkfloydprism - Sep 4, 2012 at 1:11 PM

Well, when you cannot hit, then you need something to be remembered for.

13. patsandsox - Sep 4, 2012 at 4:51 PM

Still trying to figure out why they had to have Punto? Maybe this was it?

When home-field advantage isn't so
  1. T. Lincecum (3095)