Sep 4, 2012, 12:46 PM EDT
Baseball America announced its annual minor league player of the year today and the winner is Royals prospect Wil Myers, who hit .314 with 37 homers in 134 games between Double-A and Triple-A at age 21.
J.J. Cooper’s lengthy article about Myers includes this interesting tidbit: He joins Paul Konerko, Troy Glaus, Jose Canseco, and Mike Moustakas as the only minor leaguers in the past 40 years to hit at least 35 homers in a season above Single-A before their 22nd birthday.
Myers came into this season as a top prospect, ranking 28th on Baseball America‘s annual list, but his power was in question after totaling just 27 homers in his first 247 games as a pro. His newfound power came with a big increase in strikeouts, but Myers still managed to hit .317 despite being very young for the levels of competition and the catcher-turned-outfielder will likely enter next season as arguably the best hitting prospect in baseball.
He also joins some pretty great company as Baseball America‘s minor league player of the year. Mike Trout won the award last season and the five winners before that were Jeremy Hellickson, Jason Heyward, Matt Wieters, Jay Bruce, and Alex Gordon.
- How’d he do that? Magician Maddux fooled hitters all the way to Hall 12
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 46
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 35
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 14
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 193
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 22
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 37
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (193)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)