Sep 4, 2012, 12:46 PM EDT
Baseball America announced its annual minor league player of the year today and the winner is Royals prospect Wil Myers, who hit .314 with 37 homers in 134 games between Double-A and Triple-A at age 21.
J.J. Cooper’s lengthy article about Myers includes this interesting tidbit: He joins Paul Konerko, Troy Glaus, Jose Canseco, and Mike Moustakas as the only minor leaguers in the past 40 years to hit at least 35 homers in a season above Single-A before their 22nd birthday.
Myers came into this season as a top prospect, ranking 28th on Baseball America‘s annual list, but his power was in question after totaling just 27 homers in his first 247 games as a pro. His newfound power came with a big increase in strikeouts, but Myers still managed to hit .317 despite being very young for the levels of competition and the catcher-turned-outfielder will likely enter next season as arguably the best hitting prospect in baseball.
He also joins some pretty great company as Baseball America‘s minor league player of the year. Mike Trout won the award last season and the five winners before that were Jeremy Hellickson, Jason Heyward, Matt Wieters, Jay Bruce, and Alex Gordon.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 22
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (85)