Sep 4, 2012, 12:46 PM EDT
Baseball America announced its annual minor league player of the year today and the winner is Royals prospect Wil Myers, who hit .314 with 37 homers in 134 games between Double-A and Triple-A at age 21.
J.J. Cooper’s lengthy article about Myers includes this interesting tidbit: He joins Paul Konerko, Troy Glaus, Jose Canseco, and Mike Moustakas as the only minor leaguers in the past 40 years to hit at least 35 homers in a season above Single-A before their 22nd birthday.
Myers came into this season as a top prospect, ranking 28th on Baseball America‘s annual list, but his power was in question after totaling just 27 homers in his first 247 games as a pro. His newfound power came with a big increase in strikeouts, but Myers still managed to hit .317 despite being very young for the levels of competition and the catcher-turned-outfielder will likely enter next season as arguably the best hitting prospect in baseball.
He also joins some pretty great company as Baseball America‘s minor league player of the year. Mike Trout won the award last season and the five winners before that were Jeremy Hellickson, Jason Heyward, Matt Wieters, Jay Bruce, and Alex Gordon.
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 4
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 11
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 45
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)