Sep 4, 2012, 11:19 AM EST
No timetable has been established beyond that, but barring a setback in his recovery from a strained oblique muscle the 23-year-old outfielder could be cleared to rejoin the Pirates’ lineup by the end of the week.
Marte made his MLB debut on July 26 and has hit .253 with four homers and a .421 slugging percentage in 23 games, but that comes with an ugly 24/3 K/BB ratio and .287 on-base percentage that have made him a poor fit as a leadoff man.
Jose Tabata has been the primary fill-in for Marte in left field, so it’ll be interesting to see if he goes right back to the bench or manager Clint Hurdle tries to keep them both in the mix for at-bats.
- Matt Harvey makes his return. And he was really impressive. 20
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 36
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 147
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (380)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (147)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)