Sep 5, 2012, 6:11 AM EDT
Rays 5, Yankees 2: This is that Yankees loss I just mentioned. Freddy Garcia allowed five runs over five. I know this isn’t the case, but as I sit here today I can’t envision any Freddy Garcia starts that weren’t five runs over five innings. And the offense ain’t helping either.
Indians 3, Tigers 2: Justin Masterson was in control, allowing two runs over six innings. The Tigers, meanwhile are a game away from being swept by the Indians and the Royals, interrupted by a sweep of the White Sox, which makes no damn sense at all. But that’s baseball.
Cardinals 5, Mets 1: Jamie Garcia scattered nine hits over seven and a third. That’s an official ruling, by the way. The Scattered Hits Institute certifies such statements whenever a winning pitcher allows more hits than innings pitched.
Twins 18, White Sox 9: Minnesota put up a ten-spot in the fifth inning, which made it 17-4 at that point. Mr. Perfect, Phil Humber, gave up eight runs in a third of an inning himself. DeWayne Wise pitched for Chicago. It was just one of those nights.
Padres 6, Dodgers 3: But hey, at least L.A. lost in 11 innings too. This, in part, because the Dodgers bullpen is pretty overworked at the moment, forcing Don Mattingly to use his secondary and tertiary options in late innings. Yasmani Grandal tied it in the eighth with a two-run shot and Logan Forsythe hit a two-run single in the 11th putting San Diego ahead for good.
Angels 6, Athletics 1: Zack Greinke is finally coming around, winning his third straight start. The Angels have won four of five and 11 of 14 overall. They’re three and a half back in the wild card race.
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 53
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 47
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 49
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 19
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)
- Ichiro Suzuki passes Babe Ruth on the all-time hits list (76)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (71)
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves (71)