Sep 5, 2012, 6:11 AM EST
Rays 5, Yankees 2: This is that Yankees loss I just mentioned. Freddy Garcia allowed five runs over five. I know this isn’t the case, but as I sit here today I can’t envision any Freddy Garcia starts that weren’t five runs over five innings. And the offense ain’t helping either.
Indians 3, Tigers 2: Justin Masterson was in control, allowing two runs over six innings. The Tigers, meanwhile are a game away from being swept by the Indians and the Royals, interrupted by a sweep of the White Sox, which makes no damn sense at all. But that’s baseball.
Cardinals 5, Mets 1: Jamie Garcia scattered nine hits over seven and a third. That’s an official ruling, by the way. The Scattered Hits Institute certifies such statements whenever a winning pitcher allows more hits than innings pitched.
Twins 18, White Sox 9: Minnesota put up a ten-spot in the fifth inning, which made it 17-4 at that point. Mr. Perfect, Phil Humber, gave up eight runs in a third of an inning himself. DeWayne Wise pitched for Chicago. It was just one of those nights.
Padres 6, Dodgers 3: But hey, at least L.A. lost in 11 innings too. This, in part, because the Dodgers bullpen is pretty overworked at the moment, forcing Don Mattingly to use his secondary and tertiary options in late innings. Yasmani Grandal tied it in the eighth with a two-run shot and Logan Forsythe hit a two-run single in the 11th putting San Diego ahead for good.
Angels 6, Athletics 1: Zack Greinke is finally coming around, winning his third straight start. The Angels have won four of five and 11 of 14 overall. They’re three and a half back in the wild card race.
- Matt Kemp remains “in play” for the Red Sox 39
- Robinson Cano “didn’t want to play” for Joe Girardi 89
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran 121
- Mike Napoli agrees to two-year, $32 million deal with Red Sox 36
- Curtis Granderson leaves Yankees for Mets (and $60 million) 68
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (121)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (108)