Bobby Valentine had a meltdown on the radio today

Sep 5, 2012, 3:32 PM EDT

Bobby Valentine

Bobby Valentine was a guest on WEEI in Boston a few minutes ago and it is being described by some — not unfairly, I don’t think — as a “meltdown.” You can listen to the whole thing here or, alternatively, read the summary of it written up by Alex Speier:

Red Sox manager Bobby Valentine, in an animated and contentious interview on The Big Show in which he suggested that he would like to punch radio host Glenn Ordway in the face, said that he would like to return to manage the Red Sox in 2013, even after a 2012 season that he characterized as a personally “miserable” one.

“This is what I chose to do. I think it’s been miserable, but it’s also been part of my life’s journey,” said Valentine. “You learn from misery.”

The threat to punch Ordway in the mouth came when Ordway asked him if he had “checked out”:

“What an embarrassing thing to say. If I were there right now, I’d punch you right in the mouth. Ha, ha. How’s that sound? Is that like I checked out? What an embarrassing thing,” said Valentine. “Why would somebody even, that’s stuff that a comic strip person would write. If someone’s here, watching me go out at 2 o’clock in the afternoon, watching me put in the right relief pitchers to get a win, putting on a hit-and-run when it was necessary, talking to the guys after the game in the food room — how could someone in real life say that?”

Bobby V. sounds at turns belligerent, fatalistic and miserable.  He’s also not dumb, and you get the sense that he knows he’s going to be fired at the end of the season.  Almost makes me wonder if he’s trying to get fired a few weeks early.

1. longerlasting - Sep 5, 2012 at 5:11 PM

Soooooo glad he didn’t take the Baltimore job. Go O’s!!!

• dungylol - Sep 7, 2012 at 11:33 AM

Not an O’s fan but I’ll back any team that slaps around the BoSox and Yanks

2. ezwriter69 - Sep 5, 2012 at 5:19 PM

This is who the man is, who he’s ALWAYS been. NO ONE who ever worked for or with him has ever had a good word to say about him, at ESPN, the Mets, Japan, now Boston. He’s a sneering, contemptuous, self-aggrandizing bitter hateful back-stabbing tyrannical tantrum-throwing bleephole, always has been, always will be. This CAN’T be a surprise even to the totally clueless, remarkably inept Henry and the other clowns in management in Boston. You got what you paid, for, what everyone in baseball and at ESPN knew you were getting. Francona was too nice, too soft, so you hired the biggest bleephole in the game, and what a shock, that’s how he acted. This is what you wanted, this is what you got.

• mazblast - Sep 5, 2012 at 5:46 PM

I detect some reticence in your post. Please, don’t hold back, tell us how you really feel.

• willclarkgameface - Sep 5, 2012 at 6:53 PM

I love when adults use words like “bleephole”. Your entire post has been discredited.

• dungylol - Sep 7, 2012 at 11:36 AM

I love it when young kids that think they know it all make an attempt to critique adults.Now get a coloring book and go to your room.

• yahmule - Sep 6, 2012 at 12:51 AM

Imagine being able to stand out as an asshole @ ESPN.

3. rooney24 - Sep 5, 2012 at 5:26 PM

Valentine did what someone needed to do in Boston this year. The management and owners didn’t have the backbone to be the bad guy. Now, Bobby is the bad guy, they can cut ties with him, and still bring in someone that is tougher than Francona was, but will look like a player manager by comparison. I don’t know if that was the original plan, but I am guessing that is becoming the plan.

4. Detroit Michael - Sep 5, 2012 at 7:01 PM

He should have simply replied “That’s a clown question, bro.”

5. townie1266 - Sep 5, 2012 at 8:09 PM

Man, a lot if u people bashing Bobby V. are truly idiots that evidently don’t know what’s going on. See, when team owners bring in a manager that is just that, a manger, not their buddy, most teams bear down and do what they’re told. Not these bums!!!! When disciplined or corrected in practice, they run up the backstairs crying to the owners!!! What kind of grown man whines??? The kind that is currently taking the field for Boston!!! Don’t blame him, get rid of the rest of the Pedroia bunch, play the young guys who want it, and get back to Dirt Dawg ball!!!

6. mojosmagic - Sep 5, 2012 at 9:38 PM

The anti Tito strikes again.

7. mogogo1 - Sep 5, 2012 at 10:07 PM

“not unfairly, I don’t think”

Possibly a record for the number of negatives in five words. It translates to “Not not fairly, I do not think.” It’s easy to lose track, but I think Craig doubled back once too often and ended up saying it really wasn’t fair to call it a meltdown.

Teams searching for trade deadline impact
  1. H. Street (3838)