Brandon McCarthy hit in head by line drive, taken to hospital

Sep 5, 2012, 4:46 PM EDT

Screen Shot 2012-09-05 at 4.07.48 PM

Scary moment in the A’s-Angels game, as Oakland starter Brandon McCarthy was hit on the right side of his head by an Erick Aybar line drive.

McCarthy immediately went down and his arms and legs seemed to go limp, but he remained conscious and sat up while talking to the training staff for several minutes before eventually being able to walk off the field under his own power.

UPDATE: Jane Lee of MLB.com reports that McCarthy has been taken to a local hospital “for precautionary reasons.”

MLB.com has video of the play, but be warned that it’s tough to watch/hear:

1. indaburg - Sep 5, 2012 at 4:51 PM

Very scary moment. I just saw it on the MLB network. The sound of the ball off his head was sickening. I really hope he’s okay.

• sirrealrainman - Sep 5, 2012 at 5:32 PM

Sound was truly awful.

• theawesomersfranchise - Sep 5, 2012 at 6:25 PM

Jesus yes the sound was just sick

• pinkfloydprism - Sep 5, 2012 at 5:39 PM

I was at the D’Backs/Dodgers when Kuroda got nailed by the ball in the forehead. It was, by far, the loudest and worst sound I have ever heard at a game… the ball went off his head and then into the stands in the air. The place went silent.

• scotttheskeptic - Sep 5, 2012 at 7:05 PM

And Kenley Jansen is planning to pitch while on blood-thinners? This hit is an automatic Subdural (possible Epidural) Hematoma in that case.

2. proudlycanadian - Sep 5, 2012 at 4:56 PM

He has had more than his share of injuries. I hope that he is not seriously injured.

3. chill1184 - Sep 5, 2012 at 4:58 PM

Hope hes ok

4. hodaghunter - Sep 5, 2012 at 5:18 PM

Oh man… I don’t care how much I hate a team, I never ever want to see this stuff happening to anyone. Hopefully no long term affects.

5. sirrealrainman - Sep 5, 2012 at 5:34 PM

In the MLB video, at the end when they show about 3 different slow-mo replays (right before 1st replay,) one announcer sounds like he drops an F-bomb.

• sirrealrainman - Sep 5, 2012 at 5:36 PM

Er – I think right AFTER 1st replay. Somewhere around there anyway.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Sep 5, 2012 at 6:16 PM

one announcer sounds like he drops an F-bomb.

Hearing someone drop an F-bomb reminded me of this FJM article from back in the day. AJ Pierzynski gets crossed up and a fastball hits plate umpire Jeff Kellogg in the face, and well, take it away FJM:

Homeplate ump Jeff Kellogg just took a fastball to the face because A.J. Pierzynski seemed to get crossed up and just missed it. So he takes a fastball to the face and goes down like a sack of potatoes, and Jon Miller says, as they prepare a replay, “He’s wearing a microphone, let’s go back and have a look…) And I think, “Don’t play the dude’s audio!!!” And then they roll the replay, and it — incredibly predictably — goes like this:

(smack)

Pierzynski: Oh — my God.
      Kellogg: (on the ground) Fuck.

Come on ESPN. What word did you think was going to come out of a dude’s mouth in that situation?

• sirrealrainman - Sep 5, 2012 at 6:55 PM

lol, thanks for the story!

6. sportsdrenched - Sep 5, 2012 at 5:50 PM

I was listening to that on the radio. Ouch. Hopefully he’ll get realeased from the hospital soon and he’ll get to have Amanda take care of him.

7. mazblast - Sep 5, 2012 at 5:53 PM

With all his injuries, McCarthy must feel like he goes through life with a big target on his back (and chest, and head, and shoulder…). He’s a good pitcher when healthy, and I hope there’s no serious damage from this incident.

8. jarathen - Sep 5, 2012 at 6:10 PM

Was cooking dinner with MLB.tv on, truned around, turned the chops over, turned back around, and McCarthy’s on the ground. Your stomach just drops when you see that.

I really enjoyed the ESPN cover story about him and his approach to the game. I want the Angels to destroy the A’s in the standings, but right now I just hope he’s all right. Just feels unfair to get hurt like that just playing a game.

9. APBA Guy - Sep 5, 2012 at 6:33 PM

That looked horrible. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

10. professormaddog31 - Sep 5, 2012 at 7:56 PM

Hearing the noise of the ball smacking his head made my stomach churn. I hope he doesn’t have any lasting injuries from this.

11. sportsguygerald - Sep 5, 2012 at 7:58 PM

I don’t understand why there hasn’t been some kind of helmet with a visor developed for pitchers to protect against those kind of shots. Pitchers have even less reaction time than hitters to get out of the way

12. dallasstars9 - Sep 5, 2012 at 8:26 PM

He blacked out for a second. Eyes rolled back and his legs went stiff. I cut my finger, he got hit with a baseball in the head going 100!

13. tsi431 - Sep 7, 2012 at 11:12 AM

1-5-3 put out.

Why is Wren out and Gonzalez is not?
  1. R. Castillo (2697)