Sep 5, 2012, 10:20 PM EDT
There’s finally an update on the status of A’s right-hander Brandon McCarthy, who departed his start Wednesday against the Angels after taking a well-struck Erick Aybar line drive off the side of his head.
Jane Lee of MLB.com reports that McCarthy is still conscious and “doing well” at Summit Hospital in Oakland. He’s going to stay overnight for observation and will miss a team flight Thursday to Seattle, but all indications are that he did not suffer a serious head injury.
McCarthy should join up with his teammates by the weekend.
The 29-year-old impending free agent allowed three runs in 3 2/3 innings to the Halos before the frightening incident. He has a 3.24 ERA, a 1.25 WHIP and a 73/24 K/BB ratio in 111 total frames this season.
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 333
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 72
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 45
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 149
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 44
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 99
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (334)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (161)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)