Sep 5, 2012, 10:20 PM EDT
There’s finally an update on the status of A’s right-hander Brandon McCarthy, who departed his start Wednesday against the Angels after taking a well-struck Erick Aybar line drive off the side of his head.
Jane Lee of MLB.com reports that McCarthy is still conscious and “doing well” at Summit Hospital in Oakland. He’s going to stay overnight for observation and will miss a team flight Thursday to Seattle, but all indications are that he did not suffer a serious head injury.
McCarthy should join up with his teammates by the weekend.
The 29-year-old impending free agent allowed three runs in 3 2/3 innings to the Halos before the frightening incident. He has a 3.24 ERA, a 1.25 WHIP and a 73/24 K/BB ratio in 111 total frames this season.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (115)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)