Sep 5, 2012, 10:20 PM EDT
There’s finally an update on the status of A’s right-hander Brandon McCarthy, who departed his start Wednesday against the Angels after taking a well-struck Erick Aybar line drive off the side of his head.
Jane Lee of MLB.com reports that McCarthy is still conscious and “doing well” at Summit Hospital in Oakland. He’s going to stay overnight for observation and will miss a team flight Thursday to Seattle, but all indications are that he did not suffer a serious head injury.
McCarthy should join up with his teammates by the weekend.
The 29-year-old impending free agent allowed three runs in 3 2/3 innings to the Halos before the frightening incident. He has a 3.24 ERA, a 1.25 WHIP and a 73/24 K/BB ratio in 111 total frames this season.
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple 101
- Yankees activate Mark Teixeira from the disabled list 1
- Ivan Nova diagnosed with a partially torn ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow 25
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 35
- Bryce Harper pulled from Saturday’s game for not hustling 93
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (127)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (102)