Sep 5, 2012, 10:20 PM EST
There’s finally an update on the status of A’s right-hander Brandon McCarthy, who departed his start Wednesday against the Angels after taking a well-struck Erick Aybar line drive off the side of his head.
Jane Lee of MLB.com reports that McCarthy is still conscious and “doing well” at Summit Hospital in Oakland. He’s going to stay overnight for observation and will miss a team flight Thursday to Seattle, but all indications are that he did not suffer a serious head injury.
McCarthy should join up with his teammates by the weekend.
The 29-year-old impending free agent allowed three runs in 3 2/3 innings to the Halos before the frightening incident. He has a 3.24 ERA, a 1.25 WHIP and a 73/24 K/BB ratio in 111 total frames this season.
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 148
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 10
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 33
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 36
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 83
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (151)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (94)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)