Sep 5, 2012, 10:20 PM EST
There’s finally an update on the status of A’s right-hander Brandon McCarthy, who departed his start Wednesday against the Angels after taking a well-struck Erick Aybar line drive off the side of his head.
Jane Lee of MLB.com reports that McCarthy is still conscious and “doing well” at Summit Hospital in Oakland. He’s going to stay overnight for observation and will miss a team flight Thursday to Seattle, but all indications are that he did not suffer a serious head injury.
McCarthy should join up with his teammates by the weekend.
The 29-year-old impending free agent allowed three runs in 3 2/3 innings to the Halos before the frightening incident. He has a 3.24 ERA, a 1.25 WHIP and a 73/24 K/BB ratio in 111 total frames this season.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 4
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 10
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 291
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (291)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)