Chipper Jones calls out Braves fans

Sep 5, 2012, 9:13 AM EDT

Chipper Jones has played in Atlanta for 19 years. You would thus think that by now he would have figured out that Braves fans, whatever their merits, are not going to fill the ballpark very often or get crazy without the scoreboard and the sound system telling them to. It’s just not how they roll down there. Though that is probably the saddest fact of life for the Atlanta Braves, it is certainly nothing new, at least since they moved out of Atlanta-Fulton County Stadium 15 years ago.

But they must have been particularly silent last night, because Chipper spoke out about it:

Sorry, dude. If you really did feed off of those guys you would have starved years ago. That said, if you really want the fans to go crazy, try not making the Rockies pitching-staff-by-committee look like the 1966 Dodgers.

1. deadeyedesign23 - Sep 5, 2012 at 9:34 AM

“That said, if you really want the fans to go crazy, try not making the Rockies pitching-staff-by-committee look like the 1966 Dodgers.”

He’s asking them to show up. If being the first wildcard in September isn’t enough to draw then it’s not on the players anymore.

2. kevinleaptrot - Sep 5, 2012 at 9:49 AM

It was a pretty quiet night in a lot of ballparks last night. Attendance (and noise levels) were down at Nats Park and a couple of others. The day after the last day of summer is tough, even in a pennant race.

• jarathen - Sep 5, 2012 at 1:19 PM

I know it’s Oakland, but Terry Smith was commenting on the drastic drop in attendance from Labor Day to Tuesday last night as well in the Angels-A’s tilt.

3. kkolchak - Sep 5, 2012 at 9:49 AM

It isn’t just Braves fans, Chip. The Nats drew only a paltry 17,600 to see them pummel the Cubs last night. You’d think having the winningest DC baseball team since 1933 would be enough to get them out of the house, but apparently not. Disgraceful.

• temporarilyexiled - Sep 5, 2012 at 10:40 AM

Wonder if Mike Rizzo’s plan is pissing the locals off…

• skids003 - Sep 5, 2012 at 1:36 PM

With the economy in the crapper, who can afford to pay to go to a game?

4. delawarephilliesfan - Sep 5, 2012 at 9:51 AM

Yes, Phillies fans are nothign special indeed…..

There was more hooting by Phillies fans in teh stands last night than Atlanta fans, and the Phillies were in Cincinnati!

P.S. Craig – Instant Replay alert, check the game

5. kvanhorn87 - Sep 5, 2012 at 9:53 AM

The Braves fans including all relevant bloggers are soft. Chipper said it himself and he should know. CC, at least I referred to you as relevant.

6. jaysjunkie - Sep 5, 2012 at 9:56 AM

I’m not much of a Chipper Jones fan, but I applaud him. Although I can kinda understand how Atlanta’s freakish ability to contend every year might breed complacency, there’s still no excuse for it. Haven’t they had a lot of home playoff games over the years where the fan turnout was lame, too? Tampa Bay is the worst, though, and I’m really surprised at Baltimore’s attendance this year with the team they have. As a fan of a team who haven’t had a sniff of the post season in two decades now, crap fan support at the gate for playoff contention teams annoys the hell out of me.

• chill1184 - Sep 5, 2012 at 10:10 AM

It also shows how pathetic some fan bases are when you see stuff like this. At least with the Rays, it’s not an easy trip to the Trop nor is getting out of the place.

• danandcasey - Sep 5, 2012 at 10:24 AM

JJ – I understand your point. I have lived in the ATL for the last 10 years. It took me a couple years to figure it out. There are four types of fans in Atlanta. Baseball fans, who moved to Atlanta from somewhere else and are passionate about another team. They go to the TED to see their favorite team when they are in town and maybe go to another game or two during the season just because they like baseball. In these games, they root for the Braves, but they are not going to go crazy for the Braves (I fall into this category). Then there are football fans who like sports in general and like to see games. They root for the Braves during football’s off season but lose interest if the Braves are bad or Fall comes around. Third, there are people with sufficient disposable income to go to games regularly as something to do or a place to be seen. You see them behind the plate playing with their iPhones. Finally, there are Braves fans. Many live further out from the metro area (or around the country and may visit once a summer). They come to the games when they can and they cheer. But they cannot get into the city often and they do not outnumber the other three groups.

• stlouis1baseball - Sep 5, 2012 at 10:43 AM

Well stated DC! I used to travel to Norcross, GA frequently on business and had the opportunity to take in several games a year (I typically tried to visit when the Cardinals were in town). Atlanta is very much a melting pot. Most lifelong Braves fans are spread throughout the Country. Most residents are transplanted (hence the melting pot).
        This is one reason Braves fans always “travel well.”
        Meaning…
        They sell really well on road trips as a result of those lifelong fans being spread throughout the Country. This leaves you with sparsely attended home games and packed houses on the road.

• temporarilyexiled - Sep 5, 2012 at 10:45 AM

Great post. Those of us who don’t live in the ATL now have a much better idea of what’s going on.

• sabatimus - Sep 5, 2012 at 11:04 AM

Tampa fans took about 4 years to figure out they had a good team and start showing up. But it doesn’t help that their ballpark is out in boonyland.

• mazblast - Sep 5, 2012 at 2:13 PM

Downtown St. Petersburg is not “boonyland”. A place like, say, Plant City, THAT is boonyland.

7. schafersdealer - Sep 5, 2012 at 9:59 AM

Monday I drove 9 hours round trip to see Chipper play but he was out of the lineup (and thanks to Medlen, no PH appearance). I knew there was a chance he would be out on a day game but it was my only chance.

Individual fans are lost in the numbers.

8. SOBEIT - Sep 5, 2012 at 10:01 AM

AT&T Park was sold out and loud…even in a loss. But I remember the days when the park was almost empty back in the Candlestick days. 151st consecutive sell out…Giants fans appreciate what they now have and continue to show support. It’s September!!! Best baseball of the year so far. Hope Nats and Braves fans find a way to support their team in the stands because that is only good for baseball overall. Looking forward to playing these teams in the playoffs…when it is guaranteed that those stands will be packed with a lively fan base cheering on their team. But I can understand how Chipper feels. Fan support really helps players find that extra gear this late in the season.

And any losing team is still a threat to give you a loss. I don’t see any team with 0 in the win column…so they had to beat somebody!

• hockeylib - Sep 5, 2012 at 2:52 PM

it is NOT guaranteed in Atlanta…they often have trouble selling out playoff games

9. zoime17 - Sep 5, 2012 at 10:12 AM

The simple truth that many don’t want to hear, especially the city of Atlanta, is that Atlanta sports teams need to move the stadiums and arenas to the northern suburbs, just outside of I285. That’s where the core of fans is located. That’s why the Thrashers failed. I’ve lived all over Atlanta (Riverdale, Forest Park, Marietta, Buckhead, Vinings, Canton, Cumming) and, if I’m not mistaken, all its amateur hockey rinks are on the north side. That’s because the north-side has an inordinate and lobsided number of non-native Georgians. Georgians have never been crazy (in large numbers) about sports teams except NASCAR. You can argue it, but the numbers speak for themselves.

• bravojawja - Sep 5, 2012 at 11:46 PM

If you move to the northern burbs, you’re not an Atlanta team anymore, no matter what the “real housewives” may say. And it’s still easier for anyone OTP to come downtown than it is for them to get anywhere up north.

10. phillyphann83 - Sep 5, 2012 at 10:13 AM

awesome fans! see CC, you gotta at least give us some credit, we still pack CBP even when we suck

11. phillyphann83 - Sep 5, 2012 at 10:14 AM

the Braves are good and they still can’t fill the seats. pathetic

12. nolanwiffle - Sep 5, 2012 at 10:24 AM

Never once in my life as a fan have I cared one iota about the attendance figures for my team….let alone attendance anywhere else.

“We outdraw you every year, your fans suck.” Good grief.

• stlouis1baseball - Sep 5, 2012 at 10:45 AM

Really Nolan? You don’t find any pride in your team’s fan base representing? Even a little?

• nolanwiffle - Sep 5, 2012 at 10:49 AM

Not one bit. Honestly.

13. AlohaMrHand - Sep 5, 2012 at 10:24 AM

Atlanta is a college football city.I remember watching old falcon games and seeing tons of empty seats and this is when they were playing Joe Montana’s Niners!

14. sabatimus - Sep 5, 2012 at 10:58 AM

Did a 40-year-old seriously just say “just sayin'”?

15. Walk - Sep 5, 2012 at 11:03 AM

I cant make it to as many games as i used to. If i go to four a year now that is a lot for me. When i was in the military i could go to mwr and get cheap tickets and take a bus there, now that i am no longer able to continue my military career i have to get a friend or family member to go to. I cannot drive all the way there then drive back, close to 300 miles for someone like me is not gonna happen so i have to get a room. With prices going up it takes nearly a quarter of my monthly income to go and pay for room, gas, food, and a decent seat. I have to budget my money, same as all of us, then hope for good weather and no family issues for me and whoever i ride with. I am saddened i cannot go to more games but this is just the way it is for me now. I have no complaints, life is good, but i have a little ritual i have been doing now for last seven years. I wait for the schedule to be announced for upcoming season, i then mark games i wish to attend, then i go about preparing to go. As things come up i mark them off the list and when is all said and done i get to go to about 4 a year. I cannot go to every game i wish, even though people seem to think since i am a lesser fan than others if i cant go.

16. candlestickkid - Sep 5, 2012 at 12:02 PM

Chipper is just remembering the standing O he got when he pinch hit here in his last game in SF a couple weeks ago, me included. Nice to have a sell out crowd appreciate a player when he’s 3,000 miles from home. Probably a bit of a let down to come home to less. Much less.

17. Andrew Chapman - Sep 5, 2012 at 12:10 PM

in all fairness, he did say “just sayin,” which I guess entitles anyone to say whatever they want.

18. foreverchipper10 - Sep 5, 2012 at 2:05 PM

Sorry Chipper, it is too far a drive from here in Pennsylvania.

• professormaddog31 - Sep 5, 2012 at 8:04 PM

hello again, my friend in Chipper fandom. I have the honor of attending the 9/11 and 9/12 Braves/Brewers games at Miller Park. Since I can’t rock on down to ATL, driving two hours in rush hour traffic to Milwaukee is the least I can do to show my respect to my favorite non-pitching player ever.

He’ll get nothing but cheers from me, I can assure you. And hopefully he’ll play both games, but if not, I’ve covered my bases, yeah? :)

19. schmedley69 - Sep 5, 2012 at 8:26 PM

Yicketty!!!

Can Nationals run the playoff table?
  1. D. Jeter (3434)