Sep 5, 2012, 7:28 PM EDT
Things might be looking up for Jeff Niemann.
According to Roger Mooney of the Tampa Tribune, the right-hander received ”good news” about his ailing throwing shoulder on Wednesday after paying a visit to joint specialist Dr. James Andrews. He should be allowed to resume throwing in a couple of weeks and could return before the end of the regular season.
Niemann has made only eight starts this summer for the Rays because of leg, hand and now shoulder issues.
The 29-year-old owns a 4.08 career ERA and a 1.29 career WHIP in over 544 major league innings.
- Jon Niese bristles at the media reporting Dan Warthen’s racial slur — and I sorta understand why 41
- Jimmy Rollins on Ryne Sandberg: “Everyone is allowed to have their opinion. That doesn’t make it right.” 72
- Smart money on Hanley Ramirez, Jay Bruce in prop bets 24
- 2014 Preview: Kansas City Royals 17
- Kris Medlen expects to have another Tommy John surgery 13
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (102)
- Keith Olbermann REALLY hates that Barry Bonds is coaching the Giants for a week (97)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (90)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (89)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (84)