Sep 5, 2012, 7:28 PM EDT
Things might be looking up for Jeff Niemann.
According to Roger Mooney of the Tampa Tribune, the right-hander received “good news” about his ailing throwing shoulder on Wednesday after paying a visit to joint specialist Dr. James Andrews. He should be allowed to resume throwing in a couple of weeks and could return before the end of the regular season.
Niemann has made only eight starts this summer for the Rays because of leg, hand and now shoulder issues.
The 29-year-old owns a 4.08 career ERA and a 1.29 career WHIP in over 544 major league innings.
- Eduardo Rodriguez dazzles in major league debut 7
- Masahiro Tanaka expected to rejoin Yankees next week 4
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 76
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 85
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 60
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 54
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 20