Sep 5, 2012, 4:16 PM EDT
Normally “examined by Dr. Lewis Yocum” is enough to cause a panic, but in this case Weaver’s sore shoulder came from being hit by a line drive. In other words, we’re (presumably) not talking about a torn labrum or rotator cuff or any of the usual shoulder-related injuries on which Yocum is famous for performing surgeries.
Plus, Yocum is the Angels’ team doctor, so Weaver going to see him is different than non-Angels pitchers doing the same.
Weaver is 16-4 with a 2.86 ERA and 121/38 K/BB ratio in 160 innings, although he’s struggled somewhat recently with a 6.14 ERA and seven homers allowed in his last five outings.
- Clayton Kershaw cleared to begin rehab assignment on Friday at High-A Rancho Cucamonga 1
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension 82
- Mark Trumbo diagnosed with stress fracture in foot 7
- Josh Johnson needs a second Tommy John surgery 21
- Sammy Sosa wasn’t invited to Wrigley Field’s 100th birthday 45