Sep 5, 2012, 9:27 PM EDT
Bobby Valentine’s combative comments Wednesday afternoon on Boston sports radio station WEEI did not go unnoticed in the Red Sox front office.
According to Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe, Red Sox GM Ben Cherington had a “brief discussion” with Valentine before Wednesday night’s game against the Mariners. Cherington didn’t describe to Cafardo what was said in the chat, but we’d venture to guess it was the opposite of a pat on the back.
“If I were there right now, I’d punch you right in the mouth,” Bobby V told Glenn Ordway, host of “The Big Show,” earlier today.
The threat was made in a joking manner, and Ordway had just asked Valentine if he was “checked out” for the rest of the season, but baseball teams typically don’t like their managers spouting off on the airwaves.
This is all adds to the growing assumption that Bobby V will be canned sometime near the end of the year.
- Jonathan Papelbon makes it clear, again: He wants out of Philadelphia 49
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises 64
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 51
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 51
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 65
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 51
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 106
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (106)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)