Sep 5, 2012, 9:27 PM EDT
Bobby Valentine’s combative comments Wednesday afternoon on Boston sports radio station WEEI did not go unnoticed in the Red Sox front office.
According to Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe, Red Sox GM Ben Cherington had a “brief discussion” with Valentine before Wednesday night’s game against the Mariners. Cherington didn’t describe to Cafardo what was said in the chat, but we’d venture to guess it was the opposite of a pat on the back.
“If I were there right now, I’d punch you right in the mouth,” Bobby V told Glenn Ordway, host of “The Big Show,” earlier today.
The threat was made in a joking manner, and Ordway had just asked Valentine if he was “checked out” for the rest of the season, but baseball teams typically don’t like their managers spouting off on the airwaves.
This is all adds to the growing assumption that Bobby V will be canned sometime near the end of the year.
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 1
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 27
- At least Hunter Strickland entertained us last night 20
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 28
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 5
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 10
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 11
- Giants inhaling the air of superiority after Game 1 7
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (121)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (103)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)