Sep 5, 2012, 9:27 PM EDT
Bobby Valentine’s combative comments Wednesday afternoon on Boston sports radio station WEEI did not go unnoticed in the Red Sox front office.
According to Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe, Red Sox GM Ben Cherington had a “brief discussion” with Valentine before Wednesday night’s game against the Mariners. Cherington didn’t describe to Cafardo what was said in the chat, but we’d venture to guess it was the opposite of a pat on the back.
“If I were there right now, I’d punch you right in the mouth,” Bobby V told Glenn Ordway, host of “The Big Show,” earlier today.
The threat was made in a joking manner, and Ordway had just asked Valentine if he was “checked out” for the rest of the season, but baseball teams typically don’t like their managers spouting off on the airwaves.
This is all adds to the growing assumption that Bobby V will be canned sometime near the end of the year.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 0
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 77
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 51
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 20
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)