Red Sox GM Ben Cherington had a talk with Bobby Valentine about his WEEI interview

Sep 5, 2012, 9:27 PM EDT

bobby valentine getty Getty Images

Bobby Valentine’s combative comments Wednesday afternoon on Boston sports radio station WEEI did not go unnoticed in the Red Sox front office.

According to Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe, Red Sox GM Ben Cherington had a “brief discussion” with Valentine before Wednesday night’s game against the Mariners. Cherington didn’t describe to Cafardo what was said in the chat, but we’d venture to guess it was the opposite of a pat on the back.

“If I were there right now, I’d punch you right in the mouth,” Bobby V told Glenn Ordway, host of “The Big Show,” earlier today.

The threat was made in a joking manner, and Ordway had just asked Valentine if he was “checked out” for the rest of the season, but baseball teams typically don’t like their managers spouting off on the airwaves.

This is all adds to the growing assumption that Bobby V will be canned sometime near the end of the year.

1. sabatimus - Sep 5, 2012 at 9:36 PM

Cherington shoulda punched him in the mouth.

• j0esixpack - Sep 5, 2012 at 11:21 PM

I heard the interview. Part of me feels for Valentine. He was given a flawed team and it only grew more flawed given recent trades.

Valentine as manager is a bitter but needed medicine for the spoiled Red Sox players, who hopefully won’t take a future “plsyer’s manager” for granted the way they did with Feancona. In that sense Bobby V. has done what the Sox brass needed him to do and play that thankless role, despite being undermined from the start with only a 2 year contract that made him appear to be an interim manager only.

So he’s a bit justified in expressing some indignancy for those criticizing him.

Yet beyond this rediculous “he was late for a game” criticism, Bobby V has been acting a bit aloof thus inviting questions of whether he actually WANTS to be fired so he can collect the remainder of his contract. So he’s got to accept a bit of responsibility for that even as he’s justified in actingj insulted by the questions.

• bigleagues - Sep 6, 2012 at 12:43 AM

He’s acting aloof because many of the Boston baseball pundits have written whatever they wanted – even when Bobby gives a direct answer. It’s like some of them have forgotten that he had 15 years as a Major League manager prior to this season, and they somehow know more about the game than him.

Even more ridiculous? That even in the wake of last September, almost from the start of this season – the media staked out an oppositional position in alliance with players that probably knew little about Valentine other than what they learned from the media itself . . . which was obviously that he wasn’t going to coddle their delicate feelings.

• paperlions - Sep 6, 2012 at 8:10 AM

Valentine isn’t the “medicine” any team needs. A disciplinarian, sure, the RS probably could have used one. But Valentine is not a disciplinarian. He is sure not a players coach as he act like they have leprosy, but in no way, shape, or form is he a guy that takes charge of the ship with a my way or the highway approach….he talks more about his players to the media than he actually talks to the players.

In his little rant, he talked about changing pitchers and calling for hit and runs…not once did he mention having team meetings, talking to players, or doing any work whatsoever to address the mood of the players or the state of the clubhouse. He has pretty much ignored everything with respect to the fact that the players just don’t like him or playing for him. He’s just a horrible boss who fails to communicate with his employees.

• deadeyedesign23 - Sep 6, 2012 at 9:29 AM

I actually agree. I think he’s done a terrible job because a managers job is to shield his team from the media, not become a pariah himself, which he’s done at every turn. That said the interview was really unfair. Asking someone if they checked out is cheap journalism. I expect no less from local sports radio. I’ve never heard more flawed unprofessional interviewers in my life. And if Valentines story about being late to the game is true I think it’s perfectly reasonable for be a little late especially since he says he still got there by 4 for a 7oclock game.

• j0esixpack - Sep 6, 2012 at 11:44 AM

Valentine is the “medicine” because given a very player-friendly manager the players took advantage of Francona and stopped working hard.

To go right back to another players-manager after firing Francona made no sense.

The next guy who comes in will be the anti-Bobby V and the players will never again take that for granted.

• verytalldad - Sep 6, 2012 at 6:18 AM

With that group of a-holes (led by whiny Pedroia) and the Boston media, I think Bobby V. came off pretty good.

I think most people would have said much worse.

Pedroia – “I WANT FRANCONA BACK WAAAAA!! WAAAAAA!!!! WAAAAAAAAA!!!! TITO!!!!!!

What a bunch of unlikeable losers. Isnt that what Boston likes anyway. They love hating their team.

• bw1980 - Sep 6, 2012 at 10:58 AM

You probably ought to check the history on Valentine. Whether its fans, front offices, players or the media, he’s been hated everywhere he’s went. He has had very little success as a manager.

• verytalldad - Sep 6, 2012 at 4:59 PM

Other than 2 world series in a hundred years, I would say the same thing about the Red Sox.

2. dondada10 - Sep 5, 2012 at 9:40 PM

I’m surprised more isn’t being made of Valentine bashing Pedroia. At the 10 minute mark when the host is asking Valentine about his effort, Valentine asks if Pedroia “gave the effort that was needed in the clubhouse.”

I know HBT isn’t steering clear of Red Sox news.

• paperlions - Sep 5, 2012 at 10:03 PM

I think people are just numb to it now, he’s been throwing guys under the bus all year….but this is the first time he’s threatened violence during an interview (I think).

• 24missed - Sep 6, 2012 at 12:09 AM

Bobby V. came across as actually praising Pedroia. That is how I chose to interpret his response. BV’s actual words and tone didn’t bring a touch of snark to my ears.

This is not to say I am a fan of Bobby Valentine, by any means. The whole of the interview was just bizarre. One of the elements of the interview that really stood out to me was his belief in Lavarnway and Pedroia. Especially, Pedroia. The rest just was like listening to a not-so-lucid at times, incredibly angry and just plain spent, man.

For the record, I heard the interview twice, to and fro Mass. today. By the second time through, I just thought he might even be fired before the game tonight. Guess I was wrong.

The whole of the BV saga and the RS of 2012 is just mortifying. Too much out there that should stay behind closed doors. I don’t need to know the insider scoop, just play ball. But, interviews like this keep the sewage leeking. Through thick and thin, still a fan, right?

• bigleagues - Sep 6, 2012 at 12:22 AM

Bizarre compared to what?

What we’ve been conditioned to expect from managers . . . a sort of robot-speak with safe stock answers?

Or what you would expect from a guy who has been under assault by an opportunistic blood letting local media since long before the first pitch was ever thrown this season; and who just had an interview kick off with a rather tactless questioning of his integrity?

Sorry, call me weird or nuts or whatever you want. I still don’t think Bobby was the right fit for this team, but I didn’t find this interview bizarre, I found it refreshing and fearless. And I loved that Bobby was just being human in his responses. Enough already with the corporate-style BS answers.

If he is brought back, I’m perfectly fine with it at this point. If he’s not, that’s OK, too – but I’ll miss the potential for moments like what occurred this afternoon.

3. Gordon - Sep 5, 2012 at 9:40 PM

Just put the guy out of his misery already.

• proudlycanadian - Sep 5, 2012 at 9:56 PM

Why put him out of his misery? He deserves to suffer some more. Furthermore, if the Sox continue to tank, they will get a better draft position.

4. keithbangedyermom - Sep 5, 2012 at 9:43 PM

So when does John Henry reveal that Bobby Valentine is actually Satan?

• mazblast - Sep 6, 2012 at 5:56 PM

Right after Ben Cherington reveals that John Henry is actually Satan. The Red Sox are a textbook example of a fish rotting from the head.

5. hittfamily - Sep 5, 2012 at 9:44 PM

I think “Valentine” should be a verb.

“He valentined that interview. ”

Or, “The Yankees just valentined a 10 game lead in the AL East.”

Or, “Todd Akin believes women can’t get pregnant after being valentine raped, as opposed to legitimate rape.”

• tfbuckfutter - Sep 5, 2012 at 9:49 PM

You really pulled a Monica with this post.

• dondada10 - Sep 5, 2012 at 9:53 PM

Blew it?

6. randygnyc - Sep 5, 2012 at 9:45 PM

I LOVE BV NOW!!!

• bigleagues - Sep 6, 2012 at 12:25 AM

Randy,

Pull up a chair and join me in the Valentine Lounge!

7. natslady - Sep 5, 2012 at 9:45 PM

Four hours. You can set your watch. Ok, so this one isn’t Craig’s… but…

• keithbangedyermom - Sep 5, 2012 at 9:58 PM

Well, we do vote with our clicks and let’s face it, the word “Valentine” is crack to us right now.

8. tfbuckfutter - Sep 5, 2012 at 9:47 PM

They are having a lot of talks with Bobby Valentine in an effort to avoid having the talk they SHOULD be having.

I hope this talk at least consisted of Cherington telling him “Bobby I hope you’re not planning on voting for Romney, because you may want to weigh how important unemployment benefits are…..just sayin”

• tfbuckfutter - Sep 5, 2012 at 9:56 PM

They’re giving him the Aceves treatment.

Hopefully he doesn’t respond by taking off his shirt…..but who knows?

• tfbuckfutter - Sep 5, 2012 at 10:27 PM

Heh….this comment was meant as a Reply to proudlycanadian.

9. proudlycanadian - Sep 5, 2012 at 9:51 PM

Cherington “I realize that you are trying to get yourself fired; however, we want to make you suffer all month.” “If you quit, you will not be paid, so just suffer in silence.”

The good news for the Red Sox, is that a bad record will give them a better draft position.

• sabatimus - Sep 6, 2012 at 9:18 AM

Oh, there’s no way in hell Valentine suffers in silence the rest of the year. No way.

• mazblast - Sep 6, 2012 at 5:58 PM

One of Bobby’s biggest problems is that he doesn’t do anything in silence. He’s just another guy who can’t STFU, even when it’s clearly in his best interest.

10. lankyhogan - Sep 5, 2012 at 9:56 PM

The saddest part of the whole thing is that the ‘meltdown’ as it’s being called, gives some free press to the biggest hack in all of Sports reporting. If BV needs a ride to the radio station, I’d be more than happy to drive him. Ordway is a miserable human being that just needs to go away.

• badintent - Sep 6, 2012 at 12:17 AM

overheard in the men’s room after the sports show,

Bobby “Where can I get some hookers for tonight ? ”
      Nick” Same plalce I do, just go to Ben’s office, he gets the best”
      Bobby”No crap ? What a guy ! ”
      Nick” John gets first dips on the short ones, matches his dick ! “yeah
      Bobby” You mean the owner ? Really ?”I got to get out more often and party with the suits. Maybe I can meet some of the Kennedys guys.””
      Nic k”Tha’ts who you met in Ben’s office for these pole dances. “

• xavier46 - Sep 6, 2012 at 6:21 AM

fail…

11. surly1n1nd1anapol1s - Sep 5, 2012 at 9:57 PM

No way the inventor of the wrap sandwich would lose that fight. No fan of Bobby V but most talk radio types need a beating.

12. randygnyc - Sep 5, 2012 at 10:01 PM

Props to 18th street. His comment in the previous Valentine thread about having a Make a wish winner getting to fire Valentine was the best thing I’ve read in months. Congrats- you win the Internet!!

13. keithbangedyermom - Sep 5, 2012 at 10:02 PM

The funny thing is, BV getting fired is a win/win for everyone. Valentine gets away from the drama and headache, the players get a manager that wont say dumb crap to the media and the front office and Boston fans get away from the distraction that is Valentine.

• tpxdmd - Sep 5, 2012 at 10:08 PM

It’s not truly a win-win. Sure the Sox players get what they want, and Valentine probably is put out of his misery. But the greater Boston area loses because no one actually has punched Glen Ordway.

• paperlions - Sep 5, 2012 at 10:15 PM

The state is chock full of massholes that could punch Ordway in the face, someone just needs to step up to the plate.

14. vallewho - Sep 5, 2012 at 10:09 PM

I would like to see some violence, before this RS drama ends.

15. ndrocks2 - Sep 5, 2012 at 10:16 PM

If Valentine had any balls what so ever he would resign. Booby V one of the biggest tools of all time in sports coming to the MLB Network on a station near you.

16. lucidsportsfan - Sep 5, 2012 at 10:35 PM

The irony of the Sox utter melt down is that because of the schedule they may still control who wins the A.L. East; and they could sandbag the Yankees if they wanted to. http://www.lucidsportsfan.com/2012_09_02_archive.html#5080299906156223222

17. randygnyc - Sep 5, 2012 at 10:40 PM

If Valentine is a democrat, at least after tonight he’ll be allowed to pray to God for a resolution to this mess.

• mazblast - Sep 6, 2012 at 11:39 PM

C’mon, folks, lighten up! I’m a non-believer and I thought randygnyc’s line was pretty darned funny!

18. bigleagues - Sep 5, 2012 at 10:40 PM

Interestingly enough the comments section below the Valentine/Ordway write-up on Boston.com is running about 90% in favor of Valentine.

In fact, most people commenting there seem to have separated their opinions of Valentine from that of the media’s. If there is one thing that Northeasterner’s absolutely LOVE is a fighter – someone who will keep hitting back even when he’s been punched squarely in the nose – repeatedly, like Bobby has.

Boston.com/Globe reports that Valentine jokingly says he’d like to punch Ordway in the mouth, but omits any mention that it’s beat reporter, Nick Cafardo was singled out as one of the reporters who claimed Valentine was late. No mention or acknowledgement by Cafardo on his Twitter feed either. To which this commenter says:

Toca
    09/05/2012 08:06 PM

Gotta love the censorship implemented by this publication (Globe/Boston.com). The media can make any comment/statement they want about whomever, but heaven forbid anyone else takes the media to task.

and these . . .

alydar
    09/05/2012 07:48 PM

Ah, but is Bobby crazy like a fox? He just “threatened” (and that is a stretch) the Boston Media as best represented by the corpulent, arrogant and bigmouthed figurehead Ordway. That’s a move that could likely endear him to Pedroia, Lester (the sunflower seeds), Buchholz, and all the guys in the clubhouse who feel the Gonzalez and others were unfairly maligned. And Henry, Lucchino, etc, who all feel attacked by the media. As much as the media howls now about Bobby, let’s see what everybody else says. A lot of people like Bobby more because of this, I think. Stay tuned…

SpacedDuck
    09/05/2012 08:26 PM

I’m with Bobby! It’s time the press shut their mouths. From now on we need to call out announcers and the press for every mistake they make. We need to follow them around and critic how they spend their time off, when they’re late make a big deal out of it etc. Seriously, just shut up with your boring articles. Got nothing to right about? I’d rather have nothing than this BS.

mrbungle
    09/05/2012 09:15 PM

You know, I kind of feel for this guy. Since day one they’ve been calling for his head whilst Henry. LL and the others sit behind the curtain. They wouldn’t let him have his coaches. They emasculated him. He’s been poked at…..and poked…..and prodded and finally today he gives it to Ordway. Now they get him to respond in kind and the Boston media is all like “told you so! He’s gotta’ be fired now!”. I’m in the corner with Valentine. I only wished the interview was with Valentine in the studio and the cameras rolling. If you’re gonna’ go out, might as well go down swinging and Ordway’s a good choice. The season’s not over yet…….there’s still some time. One can only hope.

SophmoreCamelCharlestown
    09/05/2012 09:06 PM

It is comical people are now supporting Bobby V because of the “bad” things the media is saying and writing. Just a day ago and for much longer, the fans wanted Bobby V out immediately. So fickle.

Franky
    09/05/2012 09:10 PM

I don’t agree. The media wants him out. The fans are split. While he hasn’t covered himself with glory, he hasn’t been cut an ounce of slack either.

If the volume of comments supporting Valentine is at all representative of the sentiment of the Red Sox fanbase in the wake of the WEEI interview, then Ordway may have just inadvertently saved Valentine’s job and further entrenched the growing disgust with the Boston sports media circus.

• paperlions - Sep 6, 2012 at 8:14 AM

BL, I think that is because most people that care have already given up on the RS this year and really don’t care to comment on such things, as they all assume he’ll be fired after the season. As far as people here (eastern CT) are concerned, it is football season, and hopefully, soon, it’ll be hockey season too.

• bigleagues - Sep 6, 2012 at 9:15 PM

You forgot one . . . hoops! I love me my World Champion NY Giants, but 2nd only to my lust and devotion to the Sox is my Celtics/Huskies jones.

Also, my boy, TheDay’s Mike DiMauro, is an unrelenting Yankees fan and its doubtful he’d let anyone forget the goings on in and around Fenway – he revels far too much in this sort of Sox chatter (and, though he may not have let on this year – he’s always liked Valentine).

He and I went point/counterpoint on the Red Sox/Yankees for years.

Ahhhh, the good ol’ days in the Dodd Stadium Press Box :-)

PL, listen – I know I’ve come at you hard for your dislike of Valentine – but, I have had some personal professional interaction with the guy – and although you certainly don’t have to, I’d ask that you consider taking my word for it – he’s nothing like the way he is portrayed or comes off.

Is he combative and confrontational and sometimes says things that make you scratch your head? Yes. He also prefers that people are to the point and don’t waste his time.

But he is far from being dumb or a bad manager. His sessions at a coaches clinic I used to run were SRO in the biggest of the convention rooms we booked at Foxwoods.

But most of all, in person or on the phone, he was cordial, personable and approachable.

And that is the point of reference I have been operating from as I have witnessed the way he has been maligned and had blame shifted upon him for the failure of the players on the field to perform.

19. buffalomafia - Sep 5, 2012 at 11:05 PM

Put a fork in him already! Bobby V is done like dinner!

20. yankeesjetsknicksrangers - Sep 5, 2012 at 11:44 PM

The Sox have provided remarkable entertainment all the way from their September collapse a year ago losing 20 of their last 27 games to this years debacle that now includes a September Bobby V meltdown. My face hurts from doing so much smiling.

Thank you Red Sox Nation.

• jaguar49 - Sep 5, 2012 at 11:56 PM

Yeah…sort of the same comedy in watching the Jets and Knicks, huh?

• sabatimus - Sep 6, 2012 at 9:20 AM

And, lately, the Yanks themselves–don’t they have a .212 BA in the last 15 games or so?

21. randygnyc - Sep 6, 2012 at 12:45 AM

Bigleague- as long as you make sure to mark the “high chair” reserved, and leave it vacant.

• 18thstreet - Sep 6, 2012 at 9:47 AM

Keep your stupid politics out of this page.

22. randygnyc - Sep 6, 2012 at 12:51 AM

Let’s not forget how the media was complicit in running leaked stories from ownership, that Francona was a junkie, busy living like Howard Hughes. Valentine knows what happened.

23. Marty - Sep 6, 2012 at 3:02 AM

He’s trying to go out looking better than a dud.

“those rats fired me cause they couldn’t handle me… couldn’t handle the truth.”

24. jcarne9014 - Sep 6, 2012 at 8:12 AM

Say want you want about Bobby V., but the fact is that the Red Sox stink. They just don’t have the horses. I don’t hear anyone in Philly calling for Charlie Manuel’s head. What’s the difference?

25. shockgee - Sep 6, 2012 at 10:13 AM

The owners wont admit they made a mistake. That’s why he’s still around. Get over yourselves. You’re billionaires. Own up to one bad business move. Prima Donna’s.

The Jon Lester-Yoenis Cespedes trade is a win-win