Sep 5, 2012, 6:52 PM EST
As of a couple of days ago, the Dodgers were holding out hope that Chad Billingsley might be able to contribute as a reliever later this month. That dream is now dead, as he was transferred from the 15-day to the 60-day disabled list on Wednesday.
Left-hander Steven Rodriguez, a 2012 second-round pick who was pitching for the Florida Gators a couple of months ago, was called up to join the bullpen.
Billingsley was having a nice bounce-back season before his elbow shut him down last month. He won seven straight starts from July 23-Aug. 19, and he was 10-9 with a 3.55 ERA when he went on the disabled list.
Without Billingsley and Ted Lilly, the Dodgers are currently going with a rotation of Clayton Kershaw, Chris Capuano, Josh Beckett, Aaron Harang and Joe Blanton. Lilly, out since late May with a sore shoulder, threw a simulated game Wednesday and is hoping to rejoin the Dodgers later this month, but he lacks the time necessary to get stretched out to start.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 3
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 10
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 293
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (295)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)