Sep 5, 2012, 2:44 PM EDT
I watched my beloved Twins bludgeon the White Sox for 18 runs last night and it got me thinking about teams scoring double-digit runs.
For instance, this season the Twins rank fourth among all MLB teams in games with double-digit runs scored with 13, yet they rank just 13th in overall runs per game. Minnesota is 13-0 when scoring double-digit runs, but in all other games the Twins are 43-80 while averaging 3.6 runs per game.
Via the indispensable Baseball-Reference play index, here are the MLB leaders in double-digit run games:
Rangers 18 Red Sox 15 Cardinals 14 Twins 13 Angels 12
Texas leads baseball with 18 double-digit run games and the Rangers are 18-0 in those games. Boston ranks second with 15 such games … and the Red Sox have lost twice while scoring double-digit runs. At the other end of the spectrum the Royals have the fewest double-digit run games with two, followed by the Marlins and Padres with three.
And overall this season teams that score 10 or more runs in a game are 229-11.
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 96
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 66
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 51
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 104
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 28
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (104)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (97)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (89)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)