Adrian Beltre is on fire

Sep 6, 2012, 9:13 AM EDT

Elvis Andrus, Adrian Beltre

Not literally. That would be awful!  But he is hitting the baseball often and hitting it hard these days.

Last night he tripled, homered and drove in three runs against Kansas City. He has hit four home runs in his past five games, and has has been notching extra-base hits at an astounding rate: 18 of them in his last 14 games. Since his three-homer game against the Orioles on August 22, he has raised his slugging percentage 73 points, from .480 to .553.

If I’m voting Mike Trout is still my man, but Beltre has to be a part of the MVP conversation.

1. sdelmonte - Sep 6, 2012 at 10:07 AM

I would daresay that the Rangers look to be the hot team (again). No guarantee, of course, that

• sdelmonte - Sep 6, 2012 at 10:09 AM

That I will finish my comments. Oy.

Or that some other team won’t catch fire in the playoffs. But I would not be at all surprised to see the Rangers in the series again. Begging the question of whether any team has been in three straight series and lost all three.

• pw38 - Sep 6, 2012 at 10:18 AM

Well, a quick search reveals that the Tigers lost three straight from 1907-1909 and the NY Giants lost from 1911-1913.

• stex52 - Sep 6, 2012 at 1:27 PM

Would you rather lose three straight WS’s or not be in the WS for three years? Easy choice for about 90% of us. And it is hard to leave the Rangers out of any discussion because they are just so damned deep in talent.

2. nolanwiffle - Sep 6, 2012 at 10:44 AM

Isn’t that a photo of Elvis Andrus?

3. lazlosother - Sep 6, 2012 at 10:44 AM

Adrian has got to be one of the more under-appreciated players out there. I think he’s building a solid case for serious HOF consideration. Another 2-3 good years and by all that is reasonable he should waltz in.

4. frenchysplatediscipline - Sep 6, 2012 at 11:17 AM

The first line of this post reminded me of Kenny Maine on the old (good) version of Sportscenter.

“and last night Adrian Beltre hit his 30th homerun. Of the season, not of the game… that would be a record”

No matter how dumb, it always made me laugh.
    I miss those days.

• philliesblow - Sep 6, 2012 at 12:18 PM

Right up there with “For those of you scoring at home, or even if you’re alone.”

• lmoneyfresh - Sep 6, 2012 at 1:35 PM

I miss the days when sportscenter was about highlights and was watchable. Seems like so long ago…

5. cmutimmah - Sep 6, 2012 at 12:51 PM

Hmm.. anyone think this is coincidence that they called up Mike Olt around the time that Beltre flipped the switch? Amazing what a little competition can do.

6. hokiegajanisgod - Sep 6, 2012 at 1:24 PM

Beltre would have been a great fit in Boston.

Oh, wait…

7. billymc75 - Sep 6, 2012 at 6:02 PM

His glove work and defense leaves your jaw dropped ! Def MVP candidate

8. weaselpuppy - Sep 6, 2012 at 7:38 PM

The AL batting, RBI, XBH, Slugging % and OPS leader playing 3b in Detroit says helloooooooo

The Jon Lester-Yoenis Cespedes trade is a win-win