Brandon McCarthy had surgery for an epidural hemorrhage, brain contusion and skull fracture

Sep 6, 2012, 7:18 PM EDT

mccarthy getty Getty Images

Scary news to pass along on Brandon McCarthy, who was hit in the head by a line drive during his start yesterday against the Angels.

The Athletics just announced that McCarthy underwent a two-hour surgery last night after a CT scan revealed an epidural hemorrhage, brain contusion and skull fracture. He had another CT scan today which showed improvement from his previous scan while the epidural hemorrhage has subsided. He’s currently resting in the critical care unit of the hospital.

“Our first concern is Brandon’s health, and we are heartened to learn he has shown progress in his recovery after surgery,” said Billy Beane, the A’s vice president and general manager.  “We are glad to report he is stable, awake and alert.  The team will provide further updates as they become available in the coming days.  We would ask members of the media to respect the privacy of Brandon and his family during this time.  As we travel to Seattle today, Brandon remains in everyone’s thoughts as we wish him a speedy recovery.”

Everyone at HBT sends out their best wishes to Brandon.

1. 700lb - Sep 6, 2012 at 7:22 PM

WOW. I had no idea it was THAT bad. Here is to him having a full recovery!

2. mdpickles - Sep 6, 2012 at 7:25 PM

WOW. It’s crazy to think that he kept his composure during the incident. I would’ve been straight freakin!

3. jarathen - Sep 6, 2012 at 7:28 PM

I hope he recovers well and returns to the mound whenever he is ready to.

• metalhead65 - Sep 6, 2012 at 7:48 PM

whoever gave this a thumbs down needs therapy. you are the lowest of the low.

• Old Gator - Sep 6, 2012 at 9:53 PM

Euthanasia is more like what they need.

• frank433 - Sep 6, 2012 at 11:51 PM

Maybe the thumbs down are for his return to baseball? All I hope is a return to life for him.

• raysfan1 - Sep 7, 2012 at 12:12 AM

Frank, you are a fine human being, but I think there are just clowns out there who get there jollies down-thumbing well wishes for an injured man.

4. rightygroove - Sep 6, 2012 at 7:36 PM

Sadly, I could see this coming, when his legs appeared limp when he was hit, and his (I believe right) hand and amr were spontaniously contracted.

Hope he has a full recovery, and please don’t comeback too early.

It may be a bad joke, but i’m sure having his wife by his side should help.

5. sirrealrainman - Sep 6, 2012 at 7:37 PM

Awful news. He sat up right away and walked off the field himself, so this is surprising news.
    Brandon – wishing you a full, speedy, & healthy recovery.

• indaburg - Sep 6, 2012 at 8:58 PM

Some patients with an epidural hematoma present with a period of lucidity, or alertness, before deteriorating neurologically. The prognosis of this type of traumatic brain injury is usually pretty good with early intervention like Brandon had. Ealy intervention means that brain damage was likely limited. I really hope he pulls through this and gets back on the mound next season. This is just heart breaking.

• nothanksimdriving123 - Sep 6, 2012 at 9:26 PM

indaburg: Indeed, and I think something similar is what happened to actress Natasha Richardson when she fell on a ski slope in Quebec. She did not get the medical care she needed quickly enough and died from her head injury.

• hittfamily - Sep 6, 2012 at 10:20 PM

nothanksimdriving123

I remember that moment fairly clearly, I think, and I don’t remember it that way. I’m not being argumentative, but I can remember getting an update when it happened, when she went to the hospital, and then an update saying she would die, and it was only a matter of time. An update saying her husband, Liam was at the hospital with her saying goodbye. It made an impact on me because of how tragic it was, even before she passed, because it was known she would.

Thank goodness Brandon was monitored closely and treatment was administered when it was, and thank you indaburg for the insight.

• lazlosother - Sep 6, 2012 at 10:42 PM

Nothanks is correct. Natasha hit a tree, and afterwards she seemed all right. She was lucid, and able to move around normally. She refused medical treatment and the paramedics were sent home. and she returned to her hotel room. By the time she was taken to the hospital it was too late. She lingered for about two days before passing.

• raysfan1 - Sep 7, 2012 at 12:18 AM

Agree, no thanks is right, as is indaburg. Likewise, the fellow who died after falling at the Rangers ballpark last year was conscious at first. He went into full arrest on the ambulance.

• hittfamily - Sep 7, 2012 at 3:09 AM

Obviously I was wrong. I didn’t mean it to be an argument, and I’m glad it didn’t turn into one. That wasn’t how my response was intended.

It was horrible. I’m not the TMZ type, but it was very sad being told she was talking with her family, and at the same time, being told death was inevitable.

Clearly I remembered wrong, and thanks to all for being respectful.

6. phillyphan93 - Sep 6, 2012 at 7:40 PM

This guy has had so many hurdles in his career, hopefully he recovers quick and this is just a small challenge, he has top of the rotation potential.

• jaguar49 - Sep 7, 2012 at 10:01 AM

I would hope that people could put stupid comments aside (not you, phillyfan, but others). Unfortunately it doesn’t seem possible that some among us just have to illustrate over and over again how moronic they can be. Idiots aside, McCarthy has a tough road ahead of him. I had similar difficulties after a car accident and I can tell you he in looking forward to months of therapy. There will be scary times and he will wonder if he will ever be the same again. The answer is probably not…he will have things, even little things, that are never quite the same. From experience, I can say, coming out of this is difficult and, yes, scary at times because he is just going to have to accept that some things might never come back the way they were.

7. mgdsquiggy17 - Sep 6, 2012 at 7:40 PM

Who is the dbag that’s thumbs downing all the comments here?

• natslady - Sep 6, 2012 at 7:50 PM

I dunno. There were thumbs down on the original injury post. Sick.

Man, take care. I hope you get well, and if you want to pitch again, pitch again. If you don’t, understood.

• indaburg - Sep 6, 2012 at 8:59 PM

Just ignore them. They’re just trolling.

• raysfan1 - Sep 7, 2012 at 12:20 AM

Yeah. I hope they never are seriously hurt or I’ll to learn how unfunny they really are.

8. raysfan1 - Sep 6, 2012 at 7:40 PM

Get well soon!

9. APBA Guy - Sep 6, 2012 at 7:48 PM

Oh man, the early reports were so promising for him. Thoughts and prayers for a speedy and full recovery.

10. proudlycanadian - Sep 6, 2012 at 7:50 PM

Best of luck to McCarthy. He has a strong wife to support him and he seems to be receiving good medical treatment. Far too early to know how his career will be impacted; however, he seems to have the type of personality that would eventually do well in the media.

11. gmsalpha - Sep 6, 2012 at 8:04 PM

Thankfully he plays in the major leagues. This could have happened to a pitcher in the local fast pitch softball game at the local diamond, without ever knowing the severity of the situation. Or at least not getting the proper medical attention and diagnosis in as timely a manner. You hear about CT scans and MRIs in professional sports all the time, but this stuff isn’t cheap and even the simplest of scan with insurance can cost several hundred bucks that most of us don’t have readily available.

12. randygnyc - Sep 6, 2012 at 8:06 PM

I suspected this exact scenario in last evenings diary. I’m sorry I was right. I hope the doctors get this under control quickly as this can get very serious, very suddenly.

13. hittfamily - Sep 6, 2012 at 8:40 PM

Scariest play in all of baseball. The sound of it hitting his head was sickening. I was glad to see the Angels trainer out there as quickly as the A’s trainer was, because when peoples lives are on the line, there is not time to ask for help.

Godspeed Brandon.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Sep 6, 2012 at 9:09 PM

“We are glad to report he is stable, awake and alert.

Thank god. After the Bryce Florie incident, I never want to see a ball come anywhere close to a pitcher’s head/face.

14. sportsdrenched - Sep 6, 2012 at 8:54 PM

WTH? Last I read he was doing fine. This is when sports and yucking it up about stuff his wife tweets don’t matter. Godspeed Brandon, and we hope you make a full and timely recovery.

15. anythingbutyanks - Sep 6, 2012 at 9:08 PM

Players who suffer head injuries like this should not be allowed to walk off the field. If you are hurt badly enough to be removed from the game, just let emergency medical personnel remove you and take you straight to the hospital. They did the right thing removing him, but I can’t imagine it wouldn’t have been even better for him to leave on a stretcher.

16. chris1019 - Sep 6, 2012 at 9:10 PM

I am an A’s fan and had a younger brother who almost died from a hit in the head from a bat while playing ball. My thoughts and prayers go out to BMac and his family, this injury is definitely serious and can be life threatening.
    The fact though that people are out there “thumbing down” people’s wishes and prayers that another human-being get well is flat out disgusting. The fact that you are snickering to yourself behind your computer screen while a human being is in the hospital with a potentially life changing injury makes me realize that there are a lot of self absorbed punks who have no real contribution to society and I hope your furthest influence is simply on messaging boards because I am sure you are all too coward to do anything with your influence in the real world.

• proudlycanadian - Sep 6, 2012 at 9:17 PM

Well said. Unfortunately, there are some anonymous cowards out there who do not have the intestinal fortitude to say why they used the thumbs down function. I doubt that any of them will ever admit that they did it, let alone indicate why.

• leighkarl - Sep 6, 2012 at 11:35 PM

Well, okay, I’m not quite an anonymous coward lacking intestinal fortitude, but apparently I came close to it and was only saved by the fact that I was not yet registered to comment. But I had the same question as some of you – who are these people who would thumbs-down people’s well wishes? And, silly me, I tried clicking on one of the numbers next to a thumbsdown icon, thinking it would show me some user names (like FB’s “Like” button), but instead it changed the 2 to a 3 and had I not been unregistered, I would have added another thumbs down!! I’m not suggesting that all the people who actually click the thumbs down are just well-meaning technological dolts like me, but I AM suggesting that perhaps they are not quite the definition of evil that some seem to think they are. Perhaps they click thumbs down because they are sad about the man’s fractured skull – I don’t know.

• raysfan1 - Sep 7, 2012 at 12:25 AM

I’ve accidentally hit the wrong button before. However, this pretty clearly a systematic effort by someone who thinks its funny being a troll–ie, being intentionally offensive.

17. cur68 - Sep 6, 2012 at 9:29 PM

Kid has a cracked skull, bruised brain and associated bleeding. Just horrible. He was lucky to get early intervention, diagnosis and treatment. his chances are pretty good. He’s seems like a nice, funny, talented kid and I wish him well.

18. mybrunoblog - Sep 6, 2012 at 9:50 PM

It makes you wonder if MLB will consider having pitchers wear batting helmets or some type of hard shell under their regular caps. I’m mostly a uniform purist so I don’t necessarily like the idea but incidents like this make you wonder.
    I went back and watched it. Man that was friggen awful.

19. natslady - Sep 6, 2012 at 11:01 PM

Isn’t there a moderator who could delete this post?

20. raysfan1 - Sep 7, 2012 at 12:28 AM

1) Nobody gives a rat’s ass about your stupid fantasy team.
    2) That, apparently, your first thought is a selfish concern about your silly little fantasy league rather than this man’s life and well being speaks very poorly for you.

21. higgy5353 - Sep 7, 2012 at 12:59 AM

TBMOORE you are an idiot. I hope you get blocked from every posting again.

22. stlouis1baseball - Sep 7, 2012 at 8:45 AM

Wow. The last I heard he was doing well (all things considered).
    Here’s to hoping he recovers fully (no matter the length of time away from the game)…and returns when he feels comfortable.

Pitching duel highlights Game 1 of WS